SA gives $1000 to T-shirt campaign

The Student Assembly allotted $1,000 at its Tuesday evening meeting for the production of clothing that promotes sexual awareness.

The Consent T-shirt project, to be implemented this summer by the Sexual Assault Peer Program, will give each member of the Class of 2005 a shirt encouraging males and females to mutually agree to sexual activity before engaging in it, Assembly summer president Julia Hildreth '05 said.

"SA is really excited about supporting this program because we are constantly searching for proactive means of addressing violent crimes and hate incidents on campus," Hildreth said. "If nothing else, the project will start a dialogue on campus about this very important issue."

Funding for the Consent project is also coming from Greek houses, each of which is giving $150.

The Women's Health Resource Center has donated $500 as well, placing the project about halfway toward its financial goals.

Tuesday's meeting also involved discussions of Friday evening's first-ever Summer Block Party event, for which the Assembly gave $2,000 last week.

The street carnival, proposed initially by Assembly summer treasurer Ralph Davies '05, will involve the Office of Residential Life's undergraduate advisors and representatives from the vast majority of Greek houses, Dartmouth Organic Farm, Dartmouth Coalition for Life, the College Republicans, the Young Democrats and the Vegetarian Alliance. The Cutter-Shabazz house, the Afro-American Society, the Dog Day Players, the Dartmouth Outing Club, the International House and Native Americans at Dartmouth will also be participating. Each group will receive an Assembly subsidy of $60 to purchase needed food items.

Programming Board contributed $838 to this event, where students can also watch the Fusion dance troupe perform and listen to band music provided by various members of the sophomore class.

College President James Wright and his wife, Susan, may also be in attendance at the event, Davies said.

"It's going to be cool to see affinity houses participating next to Greek houses -- groups that normally would not be brought together," he added.

In other news, the Assembly made a series of budget allocations, giving $150 so LEAD participants can attend the upcoming Big Apple Circus.

LEAD is an after-school program sponsored by the Tucker Foundation in which student reading mentors work with children who live in the nearby Romano Circle housing development.

The governing body also retroactively gave $75 to the College Republicans for last Friday's "Dartmouth Love America" barbecue.

Unlike in past years, this term the Assembly has no fixed summer budget and will instead draw flexibly from its yearly $60,000 budget.