Graduate students sent forth

Before the big ceremony Sunday on the Green signifying the lifting of "undergrad" status from the shoulders of graduating seniors, the graduate schools will send some of its students out into the professional world Saturday with the Tuck and Thayer School's Investiture ceremonies and Dartmouth Medical School's Class Day.

224 students at the Tuck School of Business Administration will get their M.B.As. Each degree recipient will walk across the stage and be given their master hood, signifying the successful completion of the Tuck program.

On hand for the ceremony is Dawn Hudson '79, President of Pepsi-Cola North America. During her time at Pepsi, she has steered the company's marketing campaigns including "The Joy of Pepsi" featuring Britney Spears and the release of Pepsi Twist and Mountain Dew Code Red. Also taking the podium are Dean Paul Danos and student speaker Preble Jacques. The event is scheduled to be held outdoors, with a rain location of Leede Arena.

Ninety-two students will be charged to cure the world's ailments as they go forth from Dartmouth Medical School with the Class Day ceremony. Sixty will be getting their M.D. degrees, and, for the first time in DMS' history, 32 Master of Public Health degrees will be awarded.

Helping to give these students a send off will be Dr. David Satcher, the 16th U.S. Surgeon General. Serving under both Clinton and George W. Bush, Satcher guided public health policy and engineered the Healthy People 2010 proposal. Also speaking are student speakers Seth David Crockett and Neema Ganju and Prof. John Rassias, who will recite the Hippocratic Oath in its original Greek.

The closing exercises of the year for the Thayer School of Engineering is also called Investiture and will proceed very similarly to the Tuck School. On Saturday, 106 students will be receiving either hoods symbolic of their Bachelor of Engineering, Masters of Engineering Management or Master of Sciences in Engineering Sciences degrees or caps for PhD recipients.

Retired Limited Partner of Goldman Sachs and Company Peter M. Fahey '68, Th '69 '70 will be on hand to take part in the pomp and circumstance as the Investiture Speaker. A general partner at Goldman Sachs since 1982, Fahey has led such committees as the Strategic Planning and Recruiting, High Technology and Product Development and Innovation committees. An active alumnus, he was elected as an Alumni Trustee in 1994 and has co-chaired the Committee on the Student Life Initiative.