Artists pursue dreams

Dartmouth seniors obtain degrees in a variety of disciplines and then go on to jobs in the "real world." But a number of students are going to live out their dreams as full-time artists.

Liv Rooth '03 has been acting since the beginning of grade school and will continue to do so beyond Hanover. She enjoys theater because "being able to tell so many people different stories in the course of a lifetime is really great."

Alexis McGuinness '03 will attend Yale School of Drama in the fall. She been involved in theater since kindergarten, but she originally intended to be a Comparative Literature major. However, she was involved in theater from the start of her Dartmouth career, and decided to change her major to theater.

McGuinness and Deborah Meschan '03 created "Didi &Gogo," a play which Meschan described as a "feminist reconstruction of 'Waiting for Godot.'" Meschan said of the project that, "most plays are director- based, we wanted to kind of reverse the process and create a script for interaction in space." Meschan will continue to study acting in graduate school next year.

Filmmaker and "Kiss and Tell" creator Jethro Rothe-Kushel '03 has always been interested in film, but his interest intensified during a summer research project, where he realized "this little hobby of mine could also be a powerful a tool, and something I could take more seriously." A religion major, he heads to Mexico this fall to create a short series on film and ritual.

Harumi LaDuke '03 only started singing when she got to Dartmouth, just to try something different. Now, she likes it so much she wants to make a career out of it. A music and creative writing major, LaDuke is training to sing opera, and "if that doesn't work, I want to be a poet."

Music major Tyler Slade '03 feels that music is "a good way that you can really speak to people. Especially by singing " from getting up in front of people, you can really convey a message." This summer, he is going to Lake Placid, N.Y. to participate in Seagle Music Colony, a young artist program for pre-professional opera singers.

Chris Collier '03 originally intended to study physics but switched to his lifelong love -- music. "It communicates with just about everyone, regardless of language barriers," he said of his passion. For his senior fellowship, he conducted an orchestra and did research on different film scoring. Collier will study conducting at the Pierre Monteux School in Hancock, Maine.