A New Way to Remember Dartmouth

I could use this space to write a reflective and sentimental commentary about the end of my Dartmouth career, but I'm sure emotions will be running high enough on campus today without my contribution. Besides, I've already shared my personal commentaries on life here through the past three years of my columns.

So, here's a different approach to thinking about my time here:

Times my stomach tightened as I drove over the bridge into Dartmouth for the start of another term: Every single term.

Favorite terms: sophomore summer and senior spring.

Trips my dad has made driving me between home and school: 32.

Sophomore year living: A different dorm each term.

Places my away terms have taken me: Washington D.C., Glasgow, Scotland and Provincetown, Mass.

Times I cried from indecision while choosing courses for the following term: eight out of 12 terms.

Professors who have invited me to their house for dinner: three.

Professors who have deeply influenced me: seven.

Campus jobs I've held: Hop Box Office, alumni reunions worker, Collis bakery, "mashgiach" at the Pavilion, spinning instructor.

How I carved a place for myself on a campus of 4000 students: Writing columns for The D.

Experiences I didn't expect: performing in a South African dance group, studying Portuguese, cooking dinner for a former Poet Laureate.

My major: English and creative writing.

Terms it took me to decide on that major: seven.

People who were surprised at my decision: zero.

What I would major in if I could start again: my own concoction of creative writing and Anthropology, with a minor in Jewish studies.

Blitzes in my account: 1,882.

Hardest things I'm still learning: how to ask for help, how to trust myself and that I don't have to be perfect.

Boys I have cried over: four.

Times my older sister told me to get out of the library and have more fun: at least three times per term.

Times I heeded her advice: considerably less.

Why I should mention my mother here: so that the whole family has a mention in my final column (and because my mum has been a rock of support during these four years).

Who I laughed with, cried with, partied with, and other fun things: my wonderful, wonderful friends. (Thank you amigos!)

When I am so grateful to go to school in the middle of nowhere: weekend overnights in DOC cabins, canoe trips on the river, runs around Occom, fall leaves. Oh, New England!

When I am not so grateful of Dartmouth's locale: after yet another dinner at Molly's and yet another shirt from the Gap.

Things I don't like about Dartmouth: the prevalence of the Greek system and the presence of money.

Number of times I seriously considered transferring: one (freshman winter).

Number of times I considered dropping out of college all together: one (freshman winter).

Favorite spot on campus to be by myself: spread out on a blanket in the graveyard.

Loan payments I have to make to pay for this Dartmouth education: 120.

Coolest-sounding thing I've done here: written a screenplay.

Times I went into the library looking for one book and came out with an armload of others that looked too good just to leave there: countless.

Times I was overwhelmed by the enormity of how much there is to learn and my desire to learn it: countless.

Times I couldn't wait to get out of here: countless.

How I feel now that I'm actually going: oh, no! Oh, Yes!

Why I leave here changed: I have "the granite of New Hampshire in my muscles and my brains."

Thanks to the Dartmouth community for reading my columns! Stay tuned...