Weekend festivities to feature parties, concerts

This Green Key weekend there will be more to do around campus than attending the usual dance parties and playing pong. Tours of Baker Tower, block parties and performances by bands including the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and the Paranoid Social Club will highlight the many options available to students during Green Key 2003.

The festivities will kick off in earnest this afternoon, when Phi Delta Alpha fraternity and the Tabard Coed fraternity will co-host a block party on Webster Ave from 2:30 until 5:30. The block party will feature a barbecue and an outdoor concert by Strangefolk, a Vermont band playing rock, blues and bluegrass music.

Folk-rock duo Nerissa and Katryna Nields will perform on the lawn of Phi Tau coed fraternity at 2 p.m. today. The Nields are nationally acclaimed on the indie folk-rock circuit and have been playing together since the early 1990s.

At 7 p.m. the doors to Leede Arena will open and ticket-holding students can file in to see the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Tickets to see the ska band are $10 for undergraduates and can be purchased at the Collis Information Desk.

Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity is planning a freestyle spinning battle between professional deejays from Boston, Washington D.C. and Dartmouth student deejays scheduled for 8:30 p. m. tonight.

To prolong the magic, Psi Upsilon fraternity will host Rock Kandy, a band that has become a Green Key staple at Psi U. Aidan Donahue '04, social chair of Psi U, described Rock Kandy as "an '80s hair tribute band." The party will go from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.

Saturday's events include the traditional Alpha Delta fraternity lawn party, which last year drew close to 1,000 people, according to social chair Justin Silverman '04. The lawn party is from 1:00 to 6:00 p.m. and will feature a porch performance by the band Jones, described by Silverman as "a rock band with strong reggae influence."

From 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. College bands will perform on the Green at Green Fest, which will also include a barbecue and games.

By Saturday evening Leede Arena will have changed from a concert hall into a venue to showcase the annual Green Key Step Show, arranged and performed by members of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Sigma Lambda Upsilon sororities, Alpha Phi Alpha and Lambda Upsilon Lambda fraternities and the Ujima Dance Troupe.

Greek parties on Saturday night are set to include the perennial Early Eighties at Sigma Nu, " which will run from 11 p.m. until 3 a.m. " and appearances by Deejay O at Chi Heorot fraternity and the Paranoid Social Club at Bones Gate fraternity. Formerly the Rustic Overtones, the Paranoid Social Club hails from Portland, Maine and plays in the Upper Valley regularly.