Softball splits with Crimson, sweeps Blue Devils

The Big Green softball team traveled to Harvard this Saturday, splitting a pair of low-scoring contests.

In the afternoon game, Harvard won 1-0 in an exciting 12-inning game.

Danica Giugliano '04 went the distance for Dartmouth, pitching 11.1 innings. She gave up eight hits, walked one and struck out nine. She gave up the game-deciding run in the bottom of the 12th.

Dartmouth had six hits in the game, but stranded eight runners on base and was unable to score any runs. Adrienne Draper '04 had two hits while Carly Haggard '03, Jessica Reiten '06, Alicia Petryk '06 and pinch hitter Lacey Neahr '06 also added to Dartmouth's offense with hits.

Harvard's run was scored when freshman Pilar Adams reached on a fielder's choice and advanced to third on a Dartmouth error. Freshman Cara Woodward of Harvard then reached on another fielder's choice, while Adams scored on an exciting play at the plate.

In the nightcap, there was a marked change of pace. Dartmouth put up its first run in the first inning. Haggard singled and scored on senior Kisa Brannen's RBI single.

The Big Green's second run came in the fifth inning, when Reiten scored on sophomore Jodee Thompson's RBI single.

Dartmouth threatened again in the seventh inning. The Big Green had runners on the corners and only one out, but was unable to score. Dartmouth left 10 on base over the course of the game.

Harvard's lone run came in the bottom of the seventh. The Crimson threatened the Dartmouth lead with runners at first and second with only one out. However, Dartmouth was able to make two decisive outs to ensure the 2-1 win.

Christine Quattrocchi '03 recorded the complete-game win. She allowed four hits and one walk and struck out four. The win brought her record to 3-8.

Brannen had a great game, going 3-4 in the nightcap with one RBI.

The game marked the end of the team's Ivy season, finishing with a 6-10 record.

"We came together as a team, and even though we didn't have as many wins as we would have liked, we accomplished so much this season," Haggard said.

Sunday, the women hosted Central Connecticut State University (11-35) to officially end their non-Ivy season. They swept the Blue Devils 6-4 in the first game and 6-5 in extra innings in the second.

Quattrocchi pitched another complete game in the opener. She allowed only six hits and also struck out six to secure the win. She concluded her senior season with a 4-8 record. Quattrocchi holds many Big Green records. She is the all-time leader in career complete games, strikeouts, ERA and wins.

The women's last game of the season proved to be a tough win. However, Dartmouth came through in the bottom of the 11th inning to win the game 6-5.

Thompson, Quattrocchi and Haggard all had early RBIs for Dartmouth. Until the sixth inning, Dartmouth had a 3-0 lead.

The Blue Devils struck out in the top of the sixth, scoring four runs. They were aided by a decisive Dartmouth fielding error.

Central Connecticut held a 4-3 lead until the bottom of the seventh. Brannen walked early in the inning and was knocked home by an RBI single by Draper. The hit tied the game at 4-4 and forced extra innings.

The Blue Devils were able to score a run in the top of the 11th, giving Dartmouth the bottom of the inning to score offensively or lose the game.

Dartmouth lived up to the challenge.

The Big Green was able to capitalize on a significant Blue Devil error. Reiten reached base on that fielding error, which allowed Haggard to score, tying the game at 5-5.

Four batters later, Draper came to the plate with two outs and runners on first and second. She battled her way to 2-2, then hit the next pitch into left field.

That single scored Reiten from second, ending the game with a 6-5 Dartmouth win over Central Connecticut.

Haggard and Petryk each had two hits in the nightcap. Draper went 3-6 and had two RBI -- the latter of the two being the game winner.

Giugliano closed her season with a win in her 11-inning complete game effort. She finished her season with 100 strikeouts and a team best 1.24 ERA.

Dartmouth softball ended its season with a 13-21 overall record.

"We worked really hard to bounce back after we faced many set backs and obstacles. We ended the season playing like the team we are," Petryk said.

Thompson expressed similar sentiments.

"In light of all the adversity our team has faced this season. Someone would expect us to just rollover and take it. But we fought back, and we are proud to finish out the season like we did."

"Plus," she added, "I always love beating Harvard!"

Who doesn't?