Novice eights excel for Big Green women's crew

Dartmouth women's crew placed seventh for the Willing Point Trophy at Sunday's EAWRC Sprints on the Cooper River in Camden, N. J.

Early Sunday morning, the Dartmouth women began their fight for medals as they participated in the qualifying heats. The Big Green first varsity faced difficult competition with both Radcliffe and Syracuse in its heat. Despite the challenge, Dartmouth rowed well to a third place finish with a time of 6:59.77.

Other notable performances in the qualifying heats were the novice eights. The first novice eight placed second in its heat while the second novice eight took first.

In the finals, first varsity rowers battled through the headwind to place third in the petite final with a time of 7:09.90. Leading the petite final were Cornell and the University of Pennsylvania with times of 7:00.10 and 7:07.25, respectively. In the grand final, Radcliffe took top honors.

Other Big Green crews also had notable finishes. The second varsity eight placed first in the petite final in a time of 7:18.30. Dartmouth's third varsity four "A" took fourth in the petite final, while the third varsity four "B" took fifth in the grand final.

As in the qualifying heats, the novice boats had strong performances showing much potential for future varsity rowers. Both novice boats competed in the grand finals with the first novice boat taking fifth in a time of 7:30.70 and the second novice boat placing third in a time of 7:42.85.

The Dartmouth women take next weekend off while preparing for NCAA championships on May 29-31.