Haney places second in 200 to pace Big Green track team

With some athletes resting for next weekend's IC4A and ECAC Championships, several Dartmouth athletes competed this past weekend in the New England Championships. The University of New Hampshire hosted the events on Saturday afternoon at the Reggie F. Atkins track and field facilities.

Tyler Haney '03 led all Dartmouth athletes at the meet, placing second in the 200-meter dash. Haney cut the 200 in 21.62 and was only barely edged out of first by Eric Groce of Rhode Island. Rhode Island went on to win the men's competition with 127 points.

Other Dartmouth men competing at the meet included Pat Doherty '03 and Colin Ingram '04 in the 800. Ingram advanced to the finals and placed 10th (though his 1:54.92 in the prelims was his best time of the day). Also, the 4 x 800 team placed fourth with a mark of 7:54.46.

For the Dartmouth women, the strongest showings were in the field events. Kate Adams '04, Jamila Smith '06 and Katy Jongeward '03 all qualified for the finals in their events. Adams took seventh in the pole vault, Smith took seventh in the shot put with a toss of 42-4 1/4 and Jongeward finished eight in the triple jump, leaping 36-7 1/2.

With so many athletes holding out for the IC4A or ECAC meets, the Dartmouth men still placed 21st among 38 teams with a total of 13 points. The women were 28th with seven points.

The men's team will compete in the IC4A Championships during the weekend of May 15-18, while the women will face the ECAC teams during the same weekend. Both meets will be hosted by Princeton University.