Track athletes prevail in events at Princeton

The tri-meet with Harvard and Brown last weekend was cancelled, but some of Dartmouth's track and field athletes went to Princeton instead to compete in the Sam Howell Invitational.

Six athletes from the men's and women's teams took first in their events, with athletes from Princeton, Rutgers and The College of New Jersey making an appearance.

For the men's team, the strongest showing was in the field events. Sean Furey '04 outdistanced other competitors in the javelin with a throw of 221-5.

Elsewhere in the field, Joe Marucheck '04 beat David Gary of the Tigers in the triple jump, jumping 45-0 feet.

Field athletes from the men's team also competed in the hammer throw, pole vault and long jump.

On the women's side, four Dartmouth athletes came away with first- place honors in their respective field events. Jamila Smith '06 placed first in the shot put with a throw of 43-0. In another women's throwing event, Meagan Verdeyen '03 finished with the longest discus throw of the weekend. Her distance of 145-9 was good enough to take first in the event.

In the jumping events, Kelsey Wiegmann '06 soared over a 5-3 bar for first place in the high jump. Also, Matthan Chatterton-Richmond '06 beat out athletes from Rutgers and Princeton. Her jump of 18-5 3/4 took first place in the weekend's competition.

The Dartmouth track and field teams will compete this weekend at the University of New Hampshire, along with the University of Maine and Boston College. Additionally, some athletes will travel down to sunny Miami, Fla., to compete in the 17th Annual Miami Gatorade Classic.