The Good Guys

When tens of thousands of anti-war protesters took to the streets of New York City last Saturday, I, like most Americans, took notice. Broadway was shut down and police officers in riot gear were dispatched to contain the demonstration. In addition to the usual "No War for Oil" signs and chants, there was a new and more alarming rhetoric. At least one group of protestors made their way downtown carrying a sign that said "We Support Our Troops, When They Shoot Their Officers." This may have been an explicit show of praise for the Muslim-American soldier who threw grenades into the tents of his commanders at a base in Kuwait, killing at least two servicemen. Just next door in Montpelier, Vermont, some students who had broken off from a recent anti-war demonstration threw rocks at a female soldier in uniform who was stationed at a nearby base. I hope that all Americans, regardless of their feeling on the war, will recognize the sacrifice that our fighting men and women make and show their appreciation to the troops once they are brought home.

Perhaps no one has spoken out against the war more vociferously than social activist and recent Oscar winner, Michael Moore. Mr. Moore's acceptance speech at the Academy Awards revealed something important about his own views and the views of many in the anti-war movement. He claimed that the war in Iraq is led by a "fictitious president," for "fictitious" reasons. In saying this, Moore has told us that his personal grievances against President Bush are fueling his anti-war sentiments. Judging by the way in which the rest of the movement has chosen to express itself, it would be a stretch to say that Mr. Moore is the only member who feels this way. President Bush's use of religious rhetoric and his good versus evil world view offend many here at home and abroad, and his insistence on disarming Iraq has not endeared him to the pacifist crowd.

Here in America, unlike in Iraq, we all have the right to dislike our president and to protest against his policies publicly. However, it is important to remember that Bush is not the only person who thinks this war is a good idea. Indeed there are many respected international figures, such as British Prime Minister Tony Blair and U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, who have made the case for disarming Iraq by force. There is a difference between not liking the president personally and disagreeing with every single one of his policies. Many Republicans who did not care for President Clinton personally nevertheless agreed with him on issues like trade, welfare reform and, ironically, Iraq.

It is notable that protestors here in the United States who call President Bush "Satan" or "Lunatic" echo the propaganda put out daily by the Iraqi Ministry of Information. Perhaps when you find yourself agreeing with the Iraqi government it is time to take a step back. A good way to tell who is right and who is wrong in this conflict is simply to look at the conduct of the opposing sides during the war. The intention of the United States is not, as some have said, to colonize Iraq, nor is it to slaughter civilians. Indeed our insistence on preserving as many Iraqi lives as possible has the potential to hinder our military effectiveness. Knowing of our humanitarian concern, the Iraqi Special Republican Guard now dwells in schools and mosques in Baghdad where we will not target them with air strikes. Our efforts to get food and water to the people of southern Iraq also has the potential to bog down our military campaign, but we make it work because it is the right thing to do.

The members of the Baath Party regime are the bad guys here. Their armies and militias approach American troops dressed as civilians and turn on us even as we reach out to give them aid. An Iraqi terrorist killed himself and four of our soldiers when he detonated a car bomb at a checkpoint, the first suicide bombing of many, we are told. In perhaps the most horrifying display yet, Iraqis dressed as Americans slaughtered their own troops for attempting to surrender. Dead bodies of American servicemen are being mutilated by the Iraqi forces. In order to sabotage the eventual rebuilding of the country, Iraq has mined its own harbors to prevent the distribution of aid to its people. The list of atrocities committed by Iraq in this war is too long and too graphic for us to ignore.

Protestors want the United States to do even more to get aid to the Iraqi people and to cut down even further on civilian casualties. Perhaps they should protest Saddam Hussein. No one had more of a hand in starting this war than he did, and no one has shown more of a disregard for human life than he has, but the anti-war protestors give him a free pass.

Some people on the left will never be satisfied with anything the United States does. These same people, however, seem willing to ignore the atrocities committed by the other side. Whether or not you are supporting this war, to ignore the fact that we are the good guys is to be in denial.