Sailors finish off a busy week of action

Coming off great performances from the previous week, the Dartmouth Sailing Team headed into this past weekend with vigor and focus.

The team started its campaign at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for the Geiger Trophy. In six races in Division A, Karl Johnson '06 and Amanda Morganroth '04 raced fluidly to a solid position of fourth.

A seventh place finish from the first year duo of Erik Johnson '06 and Clare O'Keeffe '06 combined with a fifth place from Brian Mason '03 and Rachel Holmes '04 synthesized to a tremendous fourth place overall spot for the Big Green.

The Boston University Trophy at (where else?) Boston University presented the sailors with inconsistent but tolerable conditions. In Division A, Scott Linthicum '04 and Lindsay Reardon '03 had some difficulty in the first races, then focused for the final push.

"After a tough first day full of unpredictable wind shifts," Linthicum said, "Lindsay and I decided enough was enough -- it's time to trash the competition."

The pair did just that, coming back and winning first place in Division A. A complimentary effort by Greg Hammond '04 and Christina Duncan '06 in Division B with a fifth place finish helped Dartmouth take the third spot overall, a fantastic final standing amongst the top 18 teams in the league.

The Admiral's Cup at U.S. Merchant Marine Academy turned into a frustrating regatta for the Big Green sailors. Things started off well, with the teams of Scott Hogan '04, Amory Loring '04, Garrett Holmes '05, and Andrew Loe '06 racing to seventh of the 20 teams represented. Holmes later credited his stellar performance to, "the inspiration I derive from the legendary Captain Garmuc."

Division B included more intense racing, as Peter "Man of the Sea" Fleming '05 and Liz Hyon '05 finished in the eighth spot. Jon Kling '04 had some trouble Division C, posting a place of 16th. In all, Dartmouth finished 13th, just three points out of 12th. Tufts University, Harvard University and Hobart College made up the top three, respectively.

The fourth Metro Series Regatta of the season at Tufts University proved once again to be the best race of the weekend for the Big Green. Despite official reports detailing a "dark, cloud filled sky accompanied with mild showers," Division A sailors Emily East '06 and Rachel Holmes '04 raced to an impressive second- place finish in the early going. The weather cleared up in the afternoon, making for ideal racing conditions for Todd Whitehead '06 and Anna Weinberg '05 to race to second in B division. Dartmouth ended up second overall, maintaining their first-place ranking atop the season standings in the Metro Series.

In other action, the Gibb Trophy, hosted by the University of Vermont but sailed at Tufts University, found Dartmouth in tight competition amongst 11 great teams. Dartmouth finished third in the event. At the Dellenbaugh Women's Intersection at Brown University, Thalia Pascalides '03 and Clementine James '05 finished 12 races in 12th position in A division. A sweet follow up by Lauren Padilla '05 and Allison Swindell '04 to take the fourth spot earned Dartmouth a final standing of eighth out of 18 teams.

The Dartmouth sailors are coming together beautifully as the championships near in May.