SA moves forward for young trustee

There may yet be a member of the Board of Trustees who grew up on Vanilla Ice, Seinfeld and the Simpsons.

Student Body President Janos Marton '04 and Chair of the Student Life Committee Amit Anand '03 announced at last night's Student Assembly meeting that the Assembly's proposal for a young alumnus to join the Board of Trustees met with a positive reception from College President James Wright and Dean of the College James Larimore in a private meeting yesterday afternoon.

"There is a very good chance of it succeeding," Marton said of the young Trustee initiative.

According to Anand, Wright stressed the need to work "within existing structures" rather than create a new one as the Assembly had proposed earlier.

In February, the Assembly narrowly passed a resolution calling for the creation of a new process by which a young alumnus could be elected by students and recent alumni to serve on the Board of Trustees.

The Assembly will next meet with the Alumni Council over Green Key Weekend to discuss the possibility of nominating a young alumnus as a candidate.

At yesterday's meeting, Larimore proposed a feedback mechanism intended to make students more aware of what goes on at Trustee meetings. At last night's Assembly meeting Anand suggested that the Trustees give an official response to the Assembly's "Current Issues" -- a publication the Assembly gives the Trustees on the state of the College.

Larimore and Wright were also receptive to Anand's suggestion that students leaders have official meetings with Trustees, at which the students have complete control over the agenda.

If they gain the approval of the Council, the proposal could go to the Board of Trustees as early as their meeting in June.

Treasurer Todd Rabkin-Golden '06 also introduced the latest Assembly ad hoc committee -- the Privacy Task Force -- to the Assembly. The PTF will be releasing a detailed report of how the College uses information it gathers on students through various channels including automated door locks and Blitzmail.

On the continuing project of finding a new mascot for the College, Mark Herman '06 reported that Athletics Director Josie Harper has been "very receptive" to a mascot that would have more strong student support. Herman is a staff reporter for The Dartmouth.

Due to upcoming elections and midterm examinations, the Assembly meeting was unusually brief.