As war continues, students prepare for military service

Though a constant subject of debate on campuses across the country, the current war in Iraq has had little impact on Dartmouth's Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC). While students continue to train as normal, even senior cadets cannot see military action for at least a year.

The war "really has no effect on any of the training that we do. We talk about it, but we do not react to world events," said Major Gregory Goth, Officer in Charge of the Dartmouth ROTC detachment.

According to Goth, current ROTC cadets, including seniors, will not be affected by the war in the short term. He said that cadets may be assigned to a "follow-on force" in Iraq, but that they would not be deployed until at least a year from now.

Although the war has not affected training, cadets are well aware of its relevance. "As a soldier, one never wants war, but one still has to expect war and be prepared to fight. Therefore, I did not join with the idea that I would never see combat," Elizabeth Hunt '05 said.

Cadets were largely reluctant to voice their personal opinions regarding the war, however. Goth explained that although ROTC does not dictate what cadets can and cannot say, he encourages them to "stay within your lane," a military expression that stresses the separation between military and political organizations.

Students in the program did not hesitate to express their support for the troops serving in Iraq. "I will say that I support our president, our government, and our troops," said Hunt, who added that she is prepared to serve in Iraq if deployed there.

The current ROTC program involves 12 active cadets. Cadets train between three and five days per week and are schooled in skills ranging from map reading to shooting. The most important training exercises, according to Goth, are Troop Leading Procedures, during which cadets practice their leadership skills in battle situations.

Dartmouth cadets have found the program demanding, but also rewarding. Rosa Kim '03, an ROTC cadet since her freshman fall, acknowledged the heavy time commitment of the program, but identified benefits including "physical fitness, close training buddies, friendships and leadership skills."

Carlo Ordonez '06, who has been with ROTC since the fall of 2002, said, "It's hard work, but I enjoy it."

According to Goth, the primary goal of ROTC is "to produce qualified officers for the United States Army, National Guard, and the Army Reserve." Cadets who successfully complete the ROTC program are commissioned as Second Lieutenants upon graduation.

Goth said that the program's goals extend beyond the realm of military service: "Secondary goals are to produce leaders for society, because once [cadets] finish their time in the military, they are going to go into the civilian world."

ROTC actively recruits Dartmouth students from the time they receive their acceptance letters in the spring of their senior year in high school. Cadets gave varying reasons for choosing ROTC, although all of them cited prior interest in the armed services.

Nick Manners '05, who joined ROTC his sophomore fall, cited a family history in military service as a factor contributing to his decision to join.

Hunt said, "I'm drawn to the combination of physical and mental toughness the military offers as well as the opportunity to build leadership skills."

According to Kim, ROTC also has considerable financial incentives for college students including a $17,000 scholarship, funding for room and board, funding for textbooks and a monthly stipend.

Begun in the mid 1950s, Dartmouth's ROTC program initially enjoyed extensive student participation. After being expelled from the campus during the Vietnam war, ROTC returned in the mid 70s as a much smaller organization.

Goth attributed the program's current small size to military cutbacks of the early 90s as well as negative campus reaction to the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding homosexuals in the armed service.

He has not been discouraged by the size of his detachment and foresees increased involvement in coming years. "I think in a way Dartmouth has a big part to play in the future," Goth said.