Alpha Xi, Sig Ep top Greek honors

Alpha Xi Delta sorority and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity were the big winners at Monday evening's Coed, Fraternity, Sorority Order of Omega Achievement Awards, which recognize outstanding achievements in the Greek community.

Alpha Xi walked away with the prestigious O'Connor Award, given to the one CFS organization with outstanding reputation and performance in the categories of "accountability, service, inclusiveness, brotherhood/sisterhood, scholarship and leadership." When presenting the award, Dean of the College James Larimore described the sorority as having "easily risen above the norm in every category."

Recognition was given in the six categories on both the organizational and individual levels.

Top individual honors went to Greek Man of the Year Sunil Bhagavath '03, of Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity, and Woman of the Year Leah Wright '03, representing Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. The award for outstanding emerging leader was given to Jason Ewart '04 of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Ewart is also the 2003 Order of Omega Secretary/Treasurer.

Notable presentations included one by Stuart Lord, dean of the Tucker Foundation, who presented the awards for service. He stressed the value of outreach in the CFS community and encouraged all to find ways to make connections between community service and academic study. To illustrate his point Lord asked for a show of hands from those present of who had participated in these two activities during their time at Dartmouth. Nearly everyone in attendance responded affirmatively to the question.

Gold medals for service were given to Megan Carr '04, of Sigma Delta sorority, and Lola Adedokun '03, of The Tabard. Alpha Xi was given the award for outstanding service by an organization.

Lord noted the progress and increased involvement of CFS students in service in the past few years and the potential for unprecedented levels of outreach this year. At the beginning of this term, affiliated students had given over 22,000 hours to service and had raised nearly $30,000, according to Lord.

In a final rally of the crowd, he encouraged everyone to continue this improvement, reciting the old adage, "Good better best, never let it rest, until the good is better and the better, best."

In the category of Scholarship, Sig Ep was recognized for having the highest percentage of Rufus Choate Scholars and Phi Beta Kappa honorees in their chapter, with 30 percent of the membership falling into one of these categories.

They also received the award for highest GPA of an IFC member. Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority received the award for outstanding commitment to fostering the principle of academic development.

The CFS class scholars were Jason Lee '05, of Tri-Kap, Katie Lieberg '04, of Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority, and Kate Szilagyi '03 of Delta Delta Delta sorority.

Inclusiveness was a new category for recognition this year. Dean of Student Life for Pluralism and Leadership Tommy Woon, who presented the award, described pluralism as the answer to a simple question: "what happens when two different people meet."

Woon added that he admired the ways in which the Greek community has been "an anchor of support" for the achievement of this new objective.

The award for outstanding achievement in the category was given to Sigma Nu fraternity.

Other awards included Advisors of the Year, John Engelman of Alpha Delta fraternity and Sylvia Langford of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

Tri Delt and Sig Ep were recipients of the McKewan Award, for outstanding achievement in the fostering of the principle of brotherhood and sisterhood.

About 100 people, including students, administrators and advisors attended the hour and a half long ceremony in Collis Commonground.