Regarding an Accessible War

Operation Iraqi Freedom has received unprecedented media coverage. When former President Bush conducted Operation Desert Storm, people across the world learned of progress through press conferences, scattered images and limited news reports. Today, the world watches as armies advance. Twenty-four hour media coverage from Baghdad and embedded reporters in military units provide constant status updates, live video of bomb detonations and near-instantaneous relay of conditions, casualties and surrenders. However, this widespread access to war information is a double-edged sword.

Overall, the clear and constant reporting of military operations benefits citizens at home and abroad. The steady stream of information allows for stances on the war that are based in fact. Protests, be they for or against the conflict, carry little weight when the protestors are not informed. The media's intensive efforts have resulted in a public that is more educated about -- and involved in -- its government's military decisions.

Perhaps as important as informing U.S. citizens, the media's coverage has made the military's actions far more transparent. Even those nations opposed to war can be more confident that this conflict will not be conducted in secret.

On the other hand, this barrage of information does not guarantee a comprehensive understanding of the situation. People are easily swayed by graphic images or reports of casualties. We need to be cautious to see photographs and reports for what they are: small pieces of a much larger picture.