Deaths, war and swim team resurrection mark Winter term

The extreme cold was not enough to force activism into hibernation this past Winter term, nor did the frigid temperatures hinder the outpouring of sympathy for the friends and families of the three members of the Class of 2004 and Dartmouth professor who died.

The passing of Brian Henry '04, Matthew Watt '04, Daryl Richmond '04 and Spanish professor Alexander Levin all within a span of weeks, cast of dark shadow over the College.

Brian Henry '04 died on Feb. 5 from a type of cancer known as Ewing's sarcoma. He died at his home in Fairbanks, Alaska, after a two-year battle with the disease. Friends described Henry as a caring person and committed friend.

On Feb. 6, Matthew Watt '04 died near his home in Riverton, Wyo. Friends remembered Watt as an active friend who was easy to talk to.

Daryl Richmond '04 committed suicide on Feb. 19 at his home in Reno, Nev. Friends recalled Richmond as having a beautiful heart, and reported being very shocked, sad and hurt upon hearing news of his death.

Dartmouth Spanish professor Alexander Levin died of a stroke while on his department's language study abroad program in Puebla, Mexico. He was described by his students as very open and likeable.

Services were held on-campus in remembrance of the professor and the three '04s.

In response to strong opposition to the College's Fall term decision to eliminate Dartmouth's swimming and diving teams, students, alumni, parents and administrators reached an agreement in early January allowing Dartmouth's swimming and diving program to continue. The John C. Glover Fund for the Support of Swimming and Diving will provide over $2 million in funding to keep the team alive for at least the next 10 years.

The voice of Dartmouth's student body was heard both on and off-campus this past term on the likelihood of war with Iraq.

On Jan. 18, 53 Dartmouth students participated in a massive anti-war protest on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

On Feb. 18, a group of over 20 students joined another massive march in New York City in protest of a preemptive attack on Iraq. The same day, Dartmouth students also engaged in a panel discussion on campus debating the reasons for and against waging war on Iraq.

The numbers were high for this year's winter rush, with many fraternities reporting encouraging turnouts for rush events. Winter rush for the sororities was reported as also having been successful, with 224 women receiving bids for houses.

The Coed fraternities also saw a peak in interest among prospective members and added at least 30 new members from rush this winter.

Other highlights of the winter rush period included the reopening of Phi Delta Alpha fraternity after three years of derecognition. Over 50 Phi Delt alumni returned to host rush events for the fraternity, which offered prospective members the unique opportunity of joining an empty house.

Although negotiations to keep the Dartmouth swimming and diving teams were successful, the administration faced additional budgetary challenges. On Jan. 29 the College released its 2004 budget plan, which included controversial budget cuts such as the consolidation of Sanborn and Sherman Libraries and reductions in course offerings.

The administration also asserted its position on the issue of affirmative action in a brief filed in support of the University of Michigan in its pending Supreme Court case. The brief defends the Supreme court decision for the 1978 Regents of University of California v. Bakke case that set a precedent permitting universities to consider racial and ethnic diversity in the admissions process.

President Wright had made a strong political statement earlier in the term amidst Martin Luther King Day festivities in support of the University of Michigan's affirmative action policies.

While the future of affirmative action at colleges around the country is uncertain, Dartmouth admissions continued as usual. College applicant numbers were reported to have surged to an all-time record of 11,700, marking a 15 percent rise in applicants over last year's figures.

Revisions to the alcohol policy were met with strong criticism by leaders of Greek organizations on campus. Controversial changes include the provision that events with 40 people or more than the number of organization members present -- whichever number is fewer --must be registered, and that no more than two alcoholic social events are allowed per week per house.

The Winter term also featured an impressive array of guest speakers at Dartmouth, including Massachusetts Senator John Kerry, former President of Ireland Mary Robinson and civil rights activist Morris Dees.

This year's Winter Carnival activities attracted considerable student interest. With the theme "One Carnival to Rule Them All," this year's snow sculpture, constructed by the Dartmouth Outing club, was a notable testament to Dartmouth's tradition.

Winter Carnival activities included a formal hosted by Alpha Phi Alpha called "Frozen Elegance," the famous Polar Bear Swim and a concert featuring the band Virginia Coalition.