'03 will run new local shop

When a new jewelry store debuts on the streets of Hanover this April, something will separate its owner from the veterans of Main Street commerce -- she'll be less than a month out of college.

Julie Von Bargen '03, owner of Von Bargen Jewelry, has long thought about entering the business. Her father owns three jewelry stores.

While Von Bargen's father's business typically sells very high-priced lines of jewelry, she plans to introduce some items that would be more appealing to student purchasers -- specifically, more "trendy, funky" lines and sterling silver jewelry.

Her family's lifestyle has inspired Von Bargen to stay in northern New England.

"I want to maintain the life I've led," she said, noting that living in a rural, rather than urban or suburban environment, has best "provided balance" in her family's life.

She also hopes to benefit from her father's expertise and previous experience in the jewelry business, as her father has an "excellent name that is respected by designers," Von Bargen said.

"Our client base believes in us," she said, noting the importance of maintaining an honest reputation within the jewelry business.

Von Bargen's love of working in retail also encouraged her to consider opening the store.

While Von Bargen has always enjoyed interacting with people during her prior retail jobs, she likes working with jewelry because the purchase is necessarily "more meaningful than buying a shirt."

Von Bargen's fiance, Jason Thon, has a background in retail consulting and will work with her on developing plans for the business.

After graduating at the end of Winter term, Von Bargen will work full time on preparing for the opening of the store, which will be located at 35 South Main Street, next to the Rare Essentials clothing store.