Women swimmers fall to Lions

Last Saturday, Dartmouth Women's Swimming and Diving fell to the Columbia Lions, 175-119, at Columbia's Uris Pool. With this loss, they ended their dual meet season with a record of 3-8.

Despite the team's loss, several Big Green swimmers had outstanding races to finish the regular season.

Freshman Nicole Zarba took first in the 500 freestyle with an impressive time of 5:13.32, nearly three seconds faster than her second place finish against Army in the previous weekend's contest. Zarba also placed second in the 200 free (1:59.11).

In the freestyle sprints, Dartmouth showed much athleticism. Senior Karla Leavens finished second in the 100 freestyle (54.99). Lauren Gilhooly '04, claimed second in the 50 free (24.86). Gilhooly also swam what was perhaps the most impressive showing of the meet with her scorching anchor leg of 200 freestyle relay with a time of 24.09. With her strong finish, the relay placed second, only a half-second behind Columbia's team.

Freshman breaststrokers Dana Charles and Cary Telander both also had strong races.

Charles was victorious in the 200 breaststroke (2:31.03), while Telander took second in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:08.81.

In the diving competitions, senior Emily Barsky had yet another strong showing.

Barsky placed first in the one-meter event with a score of 262.35. She also took third in the three-meter event (231.15).

The Dartmouth women compete next at the Ivy League Championships, held at Princeton Feb. 27 to March 1.