Woman sexually assaulted Sunday

One female visitor to a Winter Carnival party was sexually assaulted at Gamma Delta Chi fraternity early Sunday morning, according to Safety and Security reports.

The woman -- who is not a Dartmouth student -- was assaulted by a man alleged to be a member of the Class of 2002, Safety and Security Sgt. Rebel Roberts said. The woman was later taken to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and released following treatment.

"We don't fully know what went on," Gamma Delt President Kevin Noone '03 said. "We're currently in the process of gathering information."

Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaccone said there are no suspects and that he did not know if the assailant was a Dartmouth alumnus.

A crime bulletin posted on campus doors yesterday evening described the suspect as a white male of college age, of medium height and build, clean-shaven with dark hair. The Safety and Security notice said he wore blue jeans and a white-and-blue plaid shirt.

Roberts did not answer questions about the origins of the description of the assailant.

Noone also declined to elaborate on details of the incident.

The last sexual assault reported at Dartmouth occurred Nov. 9 at The Tabard coed fraternity.

Overall incident numbers were down for this Winter Carnival weekend. Safety and Security received a total of 40 incident reports, compared with 64 complaints in 2002 and 37 in 2000.

The most notable vandalism during the weekend was to the snow sculpture on the Green, where a large wooden sword was inserted into Gandalf's head. In addition, the body and hat of the sculpture had "paint put on it," Roberts said.

The number of incidents handled by the Hanover Police was "fairly normal and consistent with Carnival weekends, maybe a little less," Giaccone said.

"Most of our arrests were alcohol-related," Giaccone said, adding that most were on Thursday evening, since "that's when the weekend starts."

Included in the Safety and Security tallies were 19 alcohol violations -- down from 28 last year and 20 three years ago -- six cases of vandalism and two drug offenses.

It was not yet clear in which of the alcohol violations, if any, the new Good Samaritan policy was used. The policy, revised as of Jan. 1, allows an intoxicated student to be assisted without being subjected to College penalties.