Students critique racial remarks

Despite a warning from one organizer that attendees should "prepare to be offended," a discussion yesterday on how to deal with the unintentional use of racially offensive language featured not a single derogatory racial term.

Instead, the talk -- titled "Put Yo' Foot In Yo' Mouth" -- explored less clear-cut examples of offensive remarks, focusing on ownership issues and where to draw the line between colloquial and offensive use of racially-charged language.

In one segment of the discussion, Jared Alessandroni '03 showed the audience a website -- www.blackpeopleloveus.com -- which uses satire to criticize majority attitudes toward blacks.

Audience members, however, were divided over whether the website went too far to achieve its goal.

"I think it's meant to be a joke, but it's definitely not for everyone," one student said.

Even if the website were serious, and reflected the unintentionally racist attitudes of its creators, another student cautioned that ignorance "does not equal maliciousness," and that people can hold an inherently racist point of view without hateful intent.

Another speaker, Jonathan Hollander '03, who is white, read an excerpt from the work of Asian American comedian Margaret Cho.

The chosen selection, which included stereotypical views of Asians, took on new meaning when read by Hollander, according to some audience members.

"It sounds more racist" when read by a white person, one student said. Another student noted that the reading brought up the issue of "how someone who speaks about their own race is allowed to be offensive."

Other students were concerned that the elimination of all race and culture-specific terms in the name of sensitivity would serve to "homogenize" cultures.

"I think it is unfortunate that you can't celebrate a culture without offending someone," one student said. Others spoke about the contrast between identifying with a certain culture and being given an identity by society as important in defining where the laws of language ownership are drawn.

The discussion, sponsored by the Ledyard Canoe Club, Alpha Kappa Alpha and the 2003 Class Council, was in fact originally motivated by a Blitzmail message sent out by Ledyard advertising a "gangsta loving" party, according to event organizer Jennai Williams '03.

Although Ledyard printed an apology, Williams said that she and other campus members eventually decided to hold a discussion on how to deal with unintentionally offensive statements.

While one student said that the Blitzmail message had "crossed the line" of what was acceptable, many emphasized that further restrictions on speech are unlikely to solve the problem.

Williams -- who emphasized she does not subscribe to notions of politically correct language -- said that her ideal society would be one "where everybody discriminates equally," and where groups would be sufficiently equal and integrated as to render racially-charged statements harmless.

Other students agreed, saying that discussion and thoughtful consideration, rather than the hurling of accusations, represents the best means of dealing with unintentionally racist remarks.

In addition to Williams and Alessandroni, Stacy Harper '03, Veronica Dickie '05, Molly Hunker '05 and Jason Ortiz '03 helped organize and lead the discussion.

The discussion, which was attended by over 40 people, was held in Collis Commonground as part of the Dartmouth Community Hour Series.