Club volleyball takes title in NECVL west division

The Dartmouth men's volleyball team wrapped up divisional play over the weekend by capturing the New England Collegiate Volleyball League's western division title. With its victories on Sunday, the Big Green established itself as the team to beat in New England volleyball this season.

The Big Green faced divisional opponents Sienna, the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Williams and the University of Connecticut in the west gym Sunday morning.

After rapidly disposing of a relatively weak Sienna team in two quick games 25-16 and 25-6, Dartmouth met UConn, the top ranked team in New England entering the day.

With co-captain Will Zimmerman '03 setting a 5-1 rotation, the team rallied to post an impressive two game victory over the Huskies.

Zimmerman seized the opportunity to set all the way around the rotation, claiming that "I like being in control of the team's offense, knowing that it's my job to set the ball away from blockers to the strongest attack."

"It's easier to get into an offensive rhythm when running a 5-1, because I'm always on the court, as opposed to only three rotations I'm more aware of defensive weaknesses."

After surprising UConn in the first game, Dartmouth got all it could handle in the second game. Fighting the Huskies all the way to end, the Big Green finally put the game away on an awesome kill from middle hitter Adam Schwartz '04.

Winning the match by scores of 25-19 and 25-23, the Big Green set themselves up for a showdown later in the day against UMass for the top spot in the strongest division of the NECVL.

After quickly defeating Williams in a two game scrimmage match, Dartmouth met UMass in the final game of the day. Relying on its tough jump servers to keep the Dartmouth offense off balance, UMass built a lead and took the first game 25-19.

However, in the second game, the Dartmouth passers took over. Senior co-captain and outside hitter Bill Shields jump-started the offense and the team by passing alongside Nate Zwintscher and making UMass-Amherst's serves look pathetic in comparison.

The resurgent offense combined with a more consistent Big Green serving game to produce a hard fought 25-23 win and new life for the home team.

With UMass reeling and demoralized after the second game, Dartmouth entered the third and final game with the momentum on its side. Carried by inspired play on the net and at the serving line from middle blocker Allan Klinge '02, the Big Green jumped out to a quick 8-3 lead when the teams switched sides in the short to 15.

Dartmouth maintained its lead despite a redoubled effort from the Minutemen and was finally able to put the match away as Allan Klinge fittingly powered down a kill for the last point of the match.

By winning the NECVL western division, Dartmouth has set itself up for even greater success in the weeks to come. With an interdivisional tournament coming up on Saturday, the Big Green will again look to defend the home court.

Hosting opponents from the other three divisions of the league, Dartmouth will be able to further its claim to the top ranking in New England.