Williams '03 takes Rhodes

Heidi Williams '03, a native of Williston, N.D., was one of 32 students chosen as 2003 American Rhodes scholars.

Following graduation, Williams plans to spend three years at Oxford University, where she will obtain her master's degree. She will study the mathematical foundations of computer science. Nearly 1,000 students from 341 colleges and universities applied for the 32 scholarships.

At Dartmouth, Williams is majoring in pure mathematics. She is especially interested in exploring number theory and its implications for the fields of cryptography, code breaking and information security.

After her time at Oxford, Williams plans to obtain a Ph.D. and then to work in academia or for the government.

She is looking forward to her time at Oxford because she will have a chance to obtain a broader background in computer science. "Most people recommend that you take a year off before starting grad studies. This experience will be different but will serve a similar purpose," she said.

A mathematics research project Williams completed in high school drew her to the field. "It got me interested in mathematics as a process" more than traditional mathematics courses did, she said, describing how she enjoyed the sensation of "discovery."

In her research paper Williams described a efficient means for breaking the Enigma Code, which was used by the Germans during the Second World War. The paper was later published in the national journal Cryptologia.

After arriving at Dartmouth, Williams began conducting research with mathematics professor Dorothy Wallace. She found the experience valuable and described Wallace as a mentor and close friend.

Williams also described Dartmouth faculty in general as "very supportive" and noted that members of the Graduate Fellowships Committee, Career Services and Susan Wright, who works with the Presidential Scholars, were particularly helpful.

While at Dartmouth, Williams has also been involved with the Women in Science Project, in addition to working as a writing tutor at the Composition Center and taking ballet classes.

She also organized a Sister-to-Sister Conference last March, which brought 110 middle-school girls to Dartmouth's Rockefeller Center for discussions on inequality with Dartmouth women.

In 2002 Williams received a Truman Scholarship, a prestigious award granted to students interested in careers in government and nonprofit enterprises. She was also named one of Glamour Magazine's Top 10 College Women in 2002.

Although some parts of the Rhodes application process are rather unusual--students must, for example, attend a formal cocktail party and interact with the judges -- Williams enjoyed her experiences.

"There are people who tell horror stories," she said, but nonetheless described the reception as a good opportunity to make informal connections with other applicants and judges.

Williams advised younger students interested in applying for Rhodes Scholarships not to worry too much about grades and numbers during the application process. "Scholarship committees are more than willing to look at you as something more than a number," she noted.

The Rhodes application also requires students to submit no fewer than eight letters of recommendation, four of which must be from professors. Rhodes applicants must also submit copies of their transcripts and a 1,000 word personal statement.

The Rhodes scholarships are endowed through the will of colonial pioneer and philanthropist Cecil Rhodes, who died in 1902.

Applicants are judged on the basis of their academic achievement, "integrity of character, a spirit of unselfishness, respect for others, potential for leadership, and physical vigor," Secretary of the Rhodes Trust Elliot German said in a press release.

In addition to the 32 Americans, 65 Rhodes Scholars were selected from Australia, Bangladesh, Bermuda, Canada, the nations of the Commonwealth Caribbean, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Malaysia, NewZealand, Pakistan, Singapore, South Africa, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.