'The Blend' mixes up winter DDS options

The new smoothie bar in Thayer Dining Hall officially opened for the Winter term yesterday and is slowly attracting the attention of thirsty students on campus.

The Blend is now fully staffed, equipped and ready for complete service after various setbacks that delayed its intended opening in Fall term.

The Thayer Dining Hall lobby was busy as usual during the lunch hour, but no line formed at the Blend's order counter.

A few students who ordered smoothies for the first time expressed a generally positive response to the opening of the Blend, and also praised the quality of their product.

Felicia Plunkett '05 liked the convenience of having another smoothie bar on campus, commenting that Collis Caf "isn't always open."

Plunkett had ordered a Berry Fix, and said that it tasted "really good", but still expressed preference for smoothies from Collis, where she could select the ingredients to fit her personal taste.

"I'm sad that you can't put together your own combinations," Plunkett said in regard to the Blend's fixed menus.

Lindsey Wolf '03, who had ordered a Strawberry Creamsicle, stated her preference for her new smoothie over the ones that she had ordered at Collis. She said that her smoothie tasted "wicked good."

"It's like a mall smoothie -- I feel like I'm at a store," Wolf said.

Other students had mixed reactions to the opening of the Blend and the quality of their smoothies. Dartmouth swimmer Matt Sueoka '04 expressed apprehension regarding the opening of the bar.

"I'm not too pleased with the addition in light of the current budget cuts," Sueoka said. "It seems superfluous, but I'm willing to give it a try."

"It tastes like a Jamba Juice," Sueoka commented, after sampling his Caribbean Delight.

Wendy Wong '03 shared her enthusiasm regarding the availability of another dining option. "Too bad it came so late," Wong said. "I need some place to spend my DBA."

Her response to her vanilla milkshake did not correspond to her enthusiasm for the new facility. Wong commented that it was "a bit bland" and "too watery."

None of the students interviewed near the Blend expressed any complaints regarding the prices. Most of the beverages offered are priced at $3.50 each, which is the same price as the custom-made smoothies from Collis Caf. Several of the Blend's "Special Smoothies" are priced at $4.25.

Dartmouth Dining Services Director Tucker Rossiter explained that the Blend was opened in hopes of alleviating smoothie-related congestion in Collis Caf.

"The smoothie bar in Collis is so popular and crowded, we thought that we could easily have another smoothie bar on campus and that it would be successful." Rossiter said.

In spite of the Blend's grand opening, business at the Collis smoothie bar appeared to be running as usual. Collis Caf supervisor Eleanor Cassady, who had worked at the smoothie station yesterday, hadn't noticed any big change in student interest in smoothies. "We had a line here half the day," Cassady said.

Yet more items will be added to the menu, which may establish the Blend as a formidable rival to the older smoothie bar in Collis.

"There are lots of choices, and even more choices will be offered as we go along," said Elizabeth Rosenberger, the Blend's supervisor.

New additions to the Blend's menu will include more smoothie flavors, a variety of wraps and salads and more fresh baked goods.