Phi Delt alumni return for rush

After three years of derecognition, the Phi Delta Alpha fraternity, commonly known as Phi Delt, has opened for rush this term and is seeking new members to get their organization off to a fresh start.

Over 50 Phi Delt alums, whose years range from '82 to '02, have returned to campus to host rush events this week.

Roughly 15 to 20 bids will be handed out to selected students interested in joining the organization.

Phi Delt Corporate President George Faux '84 described the type of student they are looking for as well-rounded, having multiple interests and having an active presence on campus.

"We want very strong, high-quality individuals because they're the ones who are going to shoulder a lot of this process of proving to the IFC [Inter-Fraternity Council] in particular that they can take this place back to the table."

Faux described previous members of Phi Delt as having formed a "very diverse group", also noting that the fraternity has not been strongly affiliated with a sports team.

Tom Callaghan '84 commented that in spite of the diverse interests and levels of scholarship among members, Phi Delt was a place for all of them to come together.

Callaghan drew a connection between this desired sense of community among Phi Delt members and the sense of community pursued by Dartmouth, saying that "the house experience is just a microcosm of the overall Dartmouth experience."

Faux and Callaghan both emphasized fellowship as the central focus and vision of the organization, and expressed hopes that the vision serves as a factor of continuity for Phi Delt.

"We want to insure that it's the fellowship, the camaraderie and the loyalty to each other that is the center point of this place," Faux said.

In addition to the hope for continuity, Callaghan pointed out the unique aspect of the opportunity to reopen an empty house.

"As sophomores, they're coming into an entity with a long history and a big support network, but where they'll be running the show -- there are no upperclassmen," Callaghan said. "They have a chance for a fresh start"

Phi Delt member Ben Steele '02, who had assisted in the organization of this term's rush said that demonstrating the idea that "the loyalty to the house runs very deep" should attract a good amount of '05s to the house.

"We're not really looking for any one thing, just a bunch of laid-back guys who embody the spirit of the house." Steele said.

Steele described members embodying the "spirit of the house" as "laid-back nice guys with excellent music tastes, who knew how to have a good time."

Last night's open house at Phi Delt did appear to attract a good number of '05s whose curiosities may have been aroused by the "Grand Reopening: Sorry for the Inconvenience" sign posted on the front of the building.

"It seems like it's a fun place to be," Neel Shah '05 commented. "It seems like a nice brotherhood."

Graham Rasmussen '05 took notice of the "really tight alumni" who had come back to run rush activities.

"I definitely think the tradition is one of the things that's attractive about this place." Rasmussen said.

Robert Freiman '05 liked the idea of becoming a part of a fraternity with a long history, but still being able to really mold it for the future.

"It's really neat talking to the alums from the '80s who still have a passion for this place and Dartmouth in general," Freiman said.

The idea of a fresh start also appealed to Drue Fitzgerald '05, who said that Phi Delt "can really be representative of what the campus is now as opposed to be bound in by what has been ingrained year after year."

Phi Delt was derecognized in March 2000 after an incident in which a member set fire to curtains in the Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity. Phi Delt was also derecognized under additional charges of allowing first-years to rush, serving alcohol to minors, tolerating drug use and hazing members during pledge period.

"I think people got away from the purpose and centering of what the organization was, and we have to take responsibility for that," Faux said.

Both Faux and Callaghan expressed strong disapproval of the incident that had catalyzed Phi Delt's derecognition.

"That kind of stuff is criminal, disrespectful, unacceptable and extremely dangerous," Callaghan said.

Faux described derecognition as "a tough and bitter pill to swallow", but also said that coming back has "become that much sweeter."

Office of Residential Life Dean Martin Redman said that it could be years before Phi Delt regains full recognition by the college, and explained that forming an "interest group" of members was only part of the first phase of that process.

"At the moment, the group has not been around and functioning for over two years, so it's kind of like they're starting from scratch," Redman said.

Redman named finances, documentation, and building maintenance as a few items of "a whole laundry list of physical things to be done."

He warned that it will take a strong effort to fully reintegrate Phi Delt into the Dartmouth community. "It's going to take a period of time for them to regain our confidence that they can function as a good, solid group that can add something to Dartmouth," Redman said.

But Redman also expressed hopes for Phi Delt's successful return.

"We'll certainly do everything we can to help them be successful," Redman said. "I think that if they're truly committed, they can make it happen."