Man arrested in Collis for missed court date

Steven Aspen from Windsor, Vt. was arrested by Hanover Police Department officer Jerry Macy in Collis Center yesterday after an off-duty police officer from another jurisdiction recognized Aspen and tipped off the officer.

Aspen, who is not affiliated with Dartmouth College, was arrested on failure to appear on a charge of burglary at Grafton County Superior Court, according to Hanover Police Department Chief Nick Giaccone. He was also charged with trespassing -- although open to Dartmouth guests, Collis is private, College-owned property.

Aspen was arrested at 1:15 p.m. He was moved to Grafton County Jail and will be held their until he stands trial on Monday unless he can meet a $1,000 bail, according to Giaccone.

Giaccone said Aspen told Hanover Police Department that he was in Hanover to attend an event at the Hopkins Center. Giaccone had no information on where Aspen had been charged with burglary.

Giaccone would not say who the off-duty officer who tipped off Macy was or what jurisdiction he was from. He said he did not know what the officer was doing in Hanover.

Department of Safety and Security Investigator Rich Gavell was able to confirm that Aspen was not affiliated with the College but had no information on the arrest or the trespass charge against Aspen.

Windsor Police Department Officer Mike Cushing said his office had no information on Aspen or the outstanding burglary charge against him. Aspen's mother, reached at his last known address, also had no information on either charge.