Lou's founder Bressett dies at 85

His large circle of friends and admirers referred to him as "Mr. Hanover."

The founder and longtime owner of Lou's Bakery and Restaurant on South Main Street, Lou Bressett passed away Jan. 24 in a sudden and painless death at the age of 85.

"I never met anyone who did not have a kind word to say about Lou Bressett," said Becky Townsend, a current waitress at Lou's.

She described him as a very kind employer who loved his customers and his community, always setting very high standards for his employees and the appearance of his restaurant.

Bressett bought his restaurant in 1947 when he returned to Hanover after serving as a Marine in World War Two -- a duty which he dropped out of the University of New Hampshire to assume.

Naming the restaurant after himself was possibly the least humble thing Bressett ever did, according to his friends.

"He was the walking definition of humility," Townsend said. "And he was always willing to help anyone who was willing to help themselves."

Among those he helped were Dartmouth students looking for relief from what Troy Fried, current owner of Lou's, described as the inedible Dartmouth food of the 1940s.

Bressett provided students with meal cards or season passes to his restaurant. Those who couldn't afford a meal were allowed to work three hours to earn one.

After he sold his restaurant, Bressett remained a frequent customer. "He was always a very positive presence -- very friendly with the waitresses -- and complementary of changes I have made to the place," Fried said.

Unlike many Hanover residents of the era, Bressett welcomed change and progress. For many years he served as the president of the Hanover Improvement Society, working to clean up the town, improve the Nugget shopping area, remodel the ice rink, and, most recently, construct the controversial parking garage on Lebanon Street.

Citizens of Hanover and administrators at Dartmouth widely valued and respected Bressett's opinion and sought his advice on many matters of town-gown relations. Others regarded him as being trustworthy and fair.

The 13th of 14 brothers and sisters, Bressett was born and raised in Hanover. After his father passed away when he was nine, Bresett caddied at the Hanover Country Club to help his mother, who ran a dining club for Dartmouth students, pay household expenses.

Funeral services for Bressett were held yesterday morning at Saint Denis Church in Hanover.