Women's ruggers annihilate Yale in yet another shutout

This weekend, the Dartmouth Women's Rugby Club continued its string of shutout victories in league play with a 75-0 obliteration of Yale University.

Scoring started early after a ruck was set at the try-line following a breakaway by lock Lois Schonberger '03. Recognizing a good opportunity, scrumhalf Catherine Dale '04 grabbed the ball from the back of the ruck and dove around the side for the score.

The Big Green charged right back up the field following the kickoff and flyhalf Abby Berniker '03 made a quick break through the Yale backline for the second try of the day.

Play had continued in the Bulldog half of the field for a bit when the Big Green forwards executed a textbook rolling maul that brought the ball very close to another score.

Following a 22-meter dropout by the Bulldogs, the Big Green again moved methodically towards the try-zone until Dale, meeting resistance right at the goal line, passed to wing Annie Snider '04, who took the two remaining steps for the score.

Soon after the ensuing kickoff, inside center Emily Battle '05 took a pass from fullback Jackie Johnson '05, surprised a slightly disorganized Yale backline and beat everyone over 50 meters for the try. Schonberger converted another kick and the score stood at 24-0.

The scoring for the half did not end there, however. The mauling practice of the last week paid off big time as good execution led to a breakaway tries of various lengths for flanker Sarajane Carpenter '03, 8-man Johanna Willer '04 and Schonberger. Dartmouth took a 41-point lead into its halftime huddle.

The second half was more of the same as wheeling scrums and great rucking led to backline tries for Johnson, outside center Elisse Gaynor '03 and wing Cat McManus '04. Later, good use of space by the backs led to a breakaway try of 50 meters for Johnson and scores of 20 meters and 45 meters for Snider to end the game.

Next weekend, Dartmouth will host Boston College in a showdown for first place in the NERFU East division.

Anne Snider is a junior winger for the Dartmouth Women's Rugby Club.