Sophs grab wins for women's tennis at ITA Regionals

A pair of stellar second-year players led the women's tennis team in competition at the ITA Regional Championships at Harvard last weekend. Jayme Ahmed '05 and Sarah McNally '05 both picked up impressive wins in singles play against the talented field.

Ahmed convincingly beat her first-round opponent, Sarah Edelstein of the University of Massachusetts, in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. Ahmed then benefited from a default by Harvard's Melissa Anderson, who was ranked 17th in the tournament, to gain a spot in the round of 32, the best result by a Big Green player on the day.

Ahmed's run ended versus Kate Boomershine, a standout competitor from William and Mary. Boomershine, the No. 9 seed in the draw, withstood an outstanding effort in the first set from Ahmed before emerging victorious by the count of 7-6 (3), 6-0.

McNally bolstered Dartmouth's showing at the Regionals with an impressive triumph over Trine Lise Juliessen of Syracuse. McNally showed tremendous poise and composure by saving multiple match points in her hotly contested match.

McNally took the first set 7-5, but she then dropped the second set 6-1. In the third and deciding set, McNally staved off two match points before forcing a tiebreaker and ultimately prevailing 7-6 (3).

However, just like her classmate Ahmed, McNally fell victim to a player from William and Mary, losing another three-set battle to Ginger Lowdermilk by the score of 2-6, 6-1, 6-4. Nonetheless, McNally nearly knocked off the player who had previously defeated the fifth seeded player in the opening round.

The other three Big Green singles competitors were unable to garner a win in their respective contests. Evie Stevens '05 lost to Syracuse's Shervin Saedinia 6-3, 6-3. Katie Jaxheimer '06 went down to Boston College Eagle Emily Yeomans 6-2, 6-3 while classmate Ann Scott '06 fell to Ronnie Brown of Bucknell 6-1, 6-4.

Dartmouth came up winless in doubles action at the tournament. Ahmed and Jaxheimer lost 8-5 to a pairing from the University of Pittsburgh in their first round encounter, and the duo of Stevens and Scott fell 8-3 in the qualifying to a team from UMass.

Next for the lady racketeers is a Homecoming weekend extravaganza at the Boss Tennis Center: the Dartmouth Invitational.

"Everyone is excited as usual to play at the Boss Center," Captain Lisa Francazio '03 said.

"The team is still extremely positive coming off ITA's and finishing off the season with the invite. It is amazing how much everyone has improved this fall, thanks a lot to Coach Dallis, and I think everyone will continue to improve up to our spring season."

The Dartmouth Invitational, which will take place on Nov. 2-4, will see the mighty Big Green try to ward off challenges from visiting teams from Boston University, Colgate and Harvard in what should be an exciting weekend of tennis in front of Dartmouth's home fans at the Boss Tennis Center.