ORL set to form new action plan group

In order to monitor the actions and progress of Coed, Fraternity and Sorority organizations, the Office of Residential Life will institute a new performance committee sometime this year made up of students, faculty, alumni and deans.

According to Assistant Dean of Residential Life Cassie Barnhardt, this committee will help CFS organizations fulfill their action plans, under which each organization can set its own individual goals in tune with the six guiding principles: scholarship, leadership, service/philanthropy, brotherhood/sisterhood, inclusively and accountability.

The committee will set "expectations" and standards rather than rules, according to Barnhardt, who likened it to a "team of consultants."

If a problem or inconsistency should arise between a CFS organization's intended action plan and its actual conduct, the organization will be brought before the committee. Members of the committee will then work with the group, suggesting means to fulfill their goals, such as organizing an alcohol-free social event.

If the CFS organization still does not comply with their action plan, the committee reports to the Dean of Residential Life. The dean then has the option to penalize the organization by probation or another form of punishment.

The new committee will differ extensively from the previous Greek Life Steering Committee, which prompted its conception. The GLSC created parameters by which the deans could respond, whereas this new committee will be concerned with more hands-on action surrounding organizations' programs and how to implement decisions.

The committee will consist of seven members: three undergraduates, one alumni representative, one staff/faculty member and the Dean and Assistant Dean of Residential Life. The committee will meet at least once per term or as many times as necessary.

The application process for students interested in serving on the committee involves much paperwork. All candidates must submit an application specifying their house affiliation, GPA and position of preference -- Order of Omega Student Representative, CFS Senior Class representative, CFS Junior Class representative or alternate. They must also write two essays and enclose a resume of activities and a CFS involvement list.

Once all applications are in -- the deadline is Oct. 11 -- the Dean of Residential Life will make the final selection.

According to Order of Omega President Carl Gieringer '03 only one member of the Order of Omega will be seeking membership on the committee. He attributes this to the time commitment necessary.

The two other student positions are open to affiliated students in the corresponding year.

Dartmouth's action plans, which the new committee will enforce, were instituted last year in order to replace the past Minimum Standards system, in which Greek organizations not meeting College standards faced specific negative consequences.