Many '06 athletes skip trips

One of the first experiences most students have with Dartmouth is a Dartmouth Outing Club trip. Of the 12 percent of the incoming freshmen this year who did not participate in first year trips, the most frequent reason for opting out was athletics, according to DOC trips leader Emily Lesher '02. Preseason training, practices and even the games of some fall sports conflict with first-year trip dates.

Most of varsity football's freshman class -- a group about 40 strong -- did not participate in DOC trips, according to head coach John Lyons.

He explained that freshmen were made eligible for varsity football only in the mid-'90s, and until then football players were active participants in first-year trips.

Ever since the change, freshmen have been playing what Coach Lyons called "a game that is so much more complicated than in high school," and have not had as much time to adjust as they had in the past.

"They're already behind older kids," Lyons said.

Also, two scrimmages take place during the time of first-year trips. A player has to miss one if he chooses to participate, and a scrimmage is when players get evaluated -- tough for a new college athlete to pass up.

The days of preseason practices are crucial. "Realistically, there'd be no way you can contribute early on" if you missed eight practices, Lyons said. "We want them to get involved," but with football taking up 20 hours a week in the fall, this is difficult.

Dwayne Rabalais was one of the '06 football players who did not go on a trip. He said he was a little disappointed about not going, but "I got to bond with about 100 football players that are going to be some of the best friends I'll ever have."

The men's cross-country team found a creative way to deal with the problem of the overlap between trips and training. Upperclassmen went running in the Dartmouth land grant for a few days during the pre-season while the freshmen went on DOC trips.

According to cross-country head coach Barry Harwick '77, all the first-year students of the team participated.

The decision for recruits on the men's tennis team is simple. "I always tell them they have to go. It's a requirement," head coach Chuck Kinyon said. "It's one of the opportunities the class has to bond."

The men's soccer team was another team absent during trips. They were in Scotland for their preseason training, which made it impossible for the players to attend DOC trips.

The players dealt with it well. Michael Conway '06, when asked if he was disappointed about not going, answered, "no, not at all. I think going to Scotland was a lot more exciting than going on a camping trip. Scotland was definitely worth it."