Students face surprise town noise ordinances

What's one person's head banging heaven may be, to someone else, just trash. Spurred on by noise-weary Hanover residents, the Hanover Board of Selectmen took action June 3, passing two ordinances regulating outdoor noise and activity, catching Dartmouth students -- who had thought the issue had been laid to rest last November -- by surprise.

Ordinance No. 33 prohibits noise "created by operating, playing or using of any radio, television, phonograph, drum, musical instrument or any other sound amplification device; or through the conduct of noisy assembly." Ordinance No. 34 regulates outdoor activities that may result in substantial traffic disruption or noise.

The ordinances provide exception for groups that apply for a permit five days in advance of an event through the Town Manager.

Applicants have to provide detailed information regarding the hours and location at which their activity would occur -- other required disclosures include the wattage, volume and decibel levels of sound produced through musical instruments or sound amplifying devices.

Town Manager Julia Griffin said the regulations were intended to stop construction and noise in all parts of Hanover, but that the actual result of the ordinance has been to stop loud parties in the School Street and Maple Street neighborhood before they can occur. Greek houses on the periphery of the campus, along with private off-campus residences, have felt the effects of the noise ordinance the most.

Residences located within the designated Institutional Zoning District -- or "I-zone" -- which includes the majority of the land owned and overseen by the College--are exempt from the ordinances, but student residences located closer to downtown neighborhoods will have will have to comply with the new noise regulations.

"Getting a band or planning an event involves a lot of paperwork as it is. This just adds more," said Chi Heorot fraternity President John Campbell '03.

2004 Class Council Treasurer Patrick Jou '04 agreed with Campbell. The highly-publicized Secret Garden Dance and Concert took place without incident, although it required months of preparation to get together the necessary permits from the town to hold the event. However, the College assisted the '04 Class Council greatly in the planning process.

In a November hearing on the proposed noise ordinances, College attorneys presented students' concerns about the implications of the ordinance for student activities, athletic events and groups wishing to host bands with town officials.

After a rancorous night of debate, where students voiced their opinions on both sides of the issue, the Hanover Board of Selectmen never actually took a vote. "They basically postponed any vote on the issue until after things quieted down," said Mike Newton '04.

Janos Marton '04, Student Body President, said the ordinance has not changed student life much, but that we will not be able to see its full effects until this term, when more students are on campus.

The penalties for violation of the two new ordinances are $300 for the first offense, $500 for the second offense and $1,000 for the third and subsequent violations.

It seems to Newton the ordinance will function only as an insurance policy. "In case there were ever very rowdy tenants in a residence, the town has more authority to back it up."

The ordinances may not have changed much in practice, but according to Newton, "in principle, it's against the 'Live Free or Die' values of New Hampshire."