New start with men's Ivy opener

It is not often that a team gets a clean slate three weeks into its season, but that is exactly what the Dartmouth men's soccer team is looking forward to this weekend as it travels to Princeton University to open its Ivy League campaign.

The Big Green (0-4 overall, 0-0 Ivy) is looking to get its first win of the year against a Tigers squad that's off to a similarly rough start (1-2-2, 0-0).

Needless to say, the first three weeks of the 2002 season have not gone according to plan for the Dartmouth men. After a successful preseason trip to Scotland (the team went 3-1 against Scottish sides), a 0-4 start seemed like an unimaginable way to get out of the gates. Three consecutive 1-0 losses and a 2-0 loss to No. 1 Stanford later, however, the Big Green is longing for the chance to start anew with Ivy League play.

"We get to start afresh this weekend in the Ivies," co-captain Tom Billings '03 said. "If we keep putting in the effort, then the results will follow."

An obvious key to tomorrow's game will be curing the team's offensive woes. After scoring eight goals in four preseason games, the well has dried up for the Big Green strikers. Dartmouth has yet to score in its four regular season games.

As if this isn't enough, the Big Green has been hit by every coach's worst nightmare: the injury bug. Coach Jeff Cook has already lost three players for significant periods of time.

Freshman goalie Michael Conway was lost before the season even started as he tore a ligament in his shoulder, while midfielder Damien Quinn '04 was lost for the season when he broke his foot in the first half of the season opener against Boston University. Defender Scott Lish '03 went down after a vicious tackle against Stanford and will be out three to six weeks with a knee injury.

Despite this, the Big Green has plenty to be optimistic about, and the team remains confident about its chances in the Ivy League. With the frustrating knowledge that they are much better than their record indicates, the men believe tomorrow could be a springboard to better their ways.

"We've had a good week of training to this point and our spirits are up," co-captain Matt Miller '03 said. "We're all eager to start our Ivy campaign and confident the ball will start bouncing our way this weekend."

Billings echoed these feelings. "The lads are just itching to get back on the field and build on a strong performance against Stanford."

Against the top-ranked Cardinals, the Big Green created more genuine chances at goal than Stanford, but couldn't break the seal.

With morale high and having already dealt with its fair share of adversity, the Big Green is quickly developing the resolve that the rigors of a grueling Ivy League schedule will demand. No one is ready to press to the panic button or lower the expectations the team had heading into the season.

"There's plenty of season left and all our goals are still within reach," Miller said.

Goal number one: scoring one and kicking off the Ivy campaign with a win against the Princeton Tigers.