Going Over the Top

Anger management is a problem for us all. And while our infuriated young souls can be contained at times, when frustration sets in even all our internal strength cannot control these emotional vehicles of devastation. Randy Moss, we all relate to you. You represent the irrational adolescent within us all. Your $104 million salary makes us admire the fact that dang it, the money ain't gonna change the man. Instead, you've acted the same way an average plebeian would have, at least if he were 13. But for some reason, Randy, you are not alone.

It seems that other sports figures, the men and women who gather the utmost admiration from today's youth, have ventured down the same path you have. Two weeks ago, Giants' rookie tight end Jeremy Shockey was quoted on the Howard Stern Radio Show as saying: "I mean, if I knew there was a gay guy on my college football team, I probably wouldn't, you know, stand for it. You know, I think, you know, they're going to be in the shower with us and stuff, so I don't think that's gonna work."

Well-said, Mr. Shockey. And that's just it. Sports icons aren't hired to represent properly the pragmatism of sociological issues. These are athletes, entertainers whose lives have become viewed under absurdly judgmental microscopes. These athletes have become focal fixtures of fantasy lives in which we place ourselves. Their lifestyles, paychecks, female entourages and no-nonsense attitudes represent a reality that we desire internally but sensibly deny because of its outrageousness. Instead, we yearn to discover more information about these athletes. We are delighted when we see that these sports stars are hard workers and down to earth men like ourselves.

Our gratification is even greater when they screw up their pampered, opulent, luxurious life-styles. When they screw up, it gives us the opportunity to cast moral judgment, to say "we wouldn't have done that," or "we would never have said that." The truth is, more often than not, we have done, said or thought the same things that these stars are chastised for. We happen to suffer only moral guilt while athletes have their personal lives scrutinized, publicized and theorized over.

Is Randy Moss guilty for his indiscretion? He most certainly is. His idea to chase a policewoman down with his car is about as smart as vacationing in Baghdad. But the American media and public fixation carries the burden of guilt as well. It's laughable when people complain about the egos of young entertainers. The fans are the ones who have placed these entertainers on their pedestals in the first place.

Now, in a time when Randy Moss needs to be left alone, to sort through his own issues, he is the hottest sports story of the year. His game on Sunday will likely be the most watched sporting event of the week. His play during this game will somehow be an indication of how he is handling his problems. People who have never met or talked to the man will magically become insightful psychiatrists.

The legacy of Randy Moss will be molded into some sort of Hollywood story; like the man who had everything and threw it away, or battled his demons to succeed on the field. Moss will continue to struggle with anger management and a ridiculously inflated ego, and the American public will continue to be "appalled" by his actions -- when all we need to do to stop him and his antics is to pay no attention to him at all.