Door locks make dormitory debut

While some students found the College's new door locking system -- activated yesterday -- to be a minor hassle, others hoped that it would increase campus security.

No one contacted by The Dartmouth strongly objected to the locks -- which were tested this summer in Massachusetts Row, The Gold Coast, Cutter North and Brewster Halls -- but many debated their effectiveness.

Student Body President Janos Marton '04, who deemed the locks "an abomination" this summer, said he opposes the system because "it makes people feel like there is something to be worried about, when, in fact, Dartmouth is one of the safest places in the country."

While many students gave a lukewarm response, two of those living off-campus who had not yet been issued identification cards encoded with the new technology said the locks made it inconvenient for them to visit friends in the dorms.

Director of Residential Operations Woody Eckels said the system was installed partly in response to requests from students and parents, and noted that "the system worked fine this summer" when it was active with "very little complaint."

Like many other students, Harry Johnson '03 felt that the locked doors are a sign of the times. "[The locking system is] a good safety measure, but I don't like it," Johnson said.

Students also recognized that the locks would make it more difficult for a non-student to get into the dorms.

"It's safer than before," Louis Trotman '03 said.

But many also said they felt secure before the system was installed. Amanda Smith '03 said simply, "I don't think it's necessary."

"Was there something wrong before?" Joshua Valdez '05 asked. "If someone wants to get in, they'll find a way in."

James Joslin, '05 derided the locks as "a convenience security system," adding, "The money could have been spent in better ways."

Assistant Director of Housing Rachael Class-Giguere said she supported the system because "all students are allowed access to all dorms." According to Eckels, the system cost about $500,000 to install.

Most students felt that even if the system was a hassle, it was a tolerable inconvenience.

One exchange student from Spelman College, Saida Grundy '04, said she was shocked that Dartmouth would not have locking doors. But since many of the threats to students come from people who have access to the dorms, she called them "a cosmetic approach" to security problems.

Under the new system, students taking classes can use their College identification card -- now equipped with a built-in radio transmitter -- to gain access to any dormitory on campus. Doors left propped open, however, will trigger an alarm in the dorm after 30 seconds that will also notify Safety and Security.