DHMC receives $1M donation

The Avery family of Fairlee, Vt., announced Saturday their donation of $1 million to the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in honor of Dr. Stephen Plume's retirement.

Allen Avery described this money as a donation "in recognition of Dr. Plume for taking care of my dad and adding another 20 years to his life."

Plume formally retired July 1 after 25 years on the DHMC staff, where he served as chief of cardiothoracic surgery, president of the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Clinic, as well as professor of surgery and community and family medicine at Dartmouth Medical School.

In the span of his career at the Center, Plume treated thousands of patients, including Borden Avery, a patient who underwent three open-heart surgeries and various other procedures starting in the early 1970s to his death in 1996, under the care of Plume and his colleagues.

The money is to be donated in increments over a period of five to seven years, starting this year. The funds will be specified for cardiothoracic surgery, patient care, heart disease research and the education of physicians in order to "provide the utmost level of family center care."

The gift is called "The Louise R. and Borden E. Avery Endowed Clinical Chair in honor of Dr. Stephen K. Plume." The first holder of the new chair will be Dr. Bill Nugent.

Borden Avery, described as a "remarkable, public-spirited man" by Dr. Plume, always held his doctors in the highest regard.

"He thought the world of Dr. Plume," Allen Avery said.

Borden Avery's wife, Louise, and son, Allen, found Dr. Plume's retirement a "great opportunity to give back to the community and the hospital," Allen Avery said.

The Averys "have always been firm supporters and frequent contributors to the hospital," Dr. Plume said. Past donations included one to build a new operating suite in the hospital in the 1980s.

The announcement of the donation came at a retirement party at the Avery family owned-and-operated Lake Morey Inn Resort -- Dr. Plume was completely surprised.

"I was flabbergasted and grateful to the Avery family," Dr. Plume said.

Plume is currently an assistant teacher for the Health Care Improvement classes at Dartmouth Medical School. He spends about two days a week preparing for classes, and another two days teaching.

The Avery family has lived in Fairlee since 1960, and has owned and operated numerous Vermont inns for over 40 years.