Women's lax seniors get a few awards for the road

by Elliot Olshansky | 5/20/02 5:00am

The Big Green women's lacrosse team's May 4 loss to Syracuse marked the end of the road for the Class of 2002, one of the most decorated classes in the team's history. The end of the seniors' playing careers was clearly not to be confused with the end of their honors, however, as the departing seniors have been given numerous individual awards since the end of the season.

On May 10, the All-Ivy women's lacrosse teams were announced, and Dartmouth co-captain Jen Newitt '02 was a unanimous selection to the All-Ivy first team for the second-straight year, one of only four unanimous selections in the league.

With 39 goals and 18 assists, Newitt tied for the League overall scoring title. The co-captain also had a hand in some of the Big Green's most memorable wins this season, netting the game-winning goal against Duke University on April 26 and assisting on classmate Kate Cole's game-winner against the University of Pennsylvania on April 13.

Newitt was joined on the first team by fellow co-captain Katy Cuneo '02, who received her first selection to the All-Ivy first team, after being a second-team selection in her sophomore and junior years. Cuneo led a Dartmouth defense that held Duke to its second-lowest goal total of the season, and Penn State University to its third lowest. She also led the team in ground balls with 41.

Two other Dartmouth players received all-Ivy honors. Midfielder Alison Moulin '02, Dartmouth's second-leading scorer with 43 points (30 goals, 13 assists), was named to the second team, and defender Rowan Smith '04 received an honorable mention.

Four days after the All-Ivy selections were announced, the Big Green women were honored by the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association and U.S. Lacrosse. Newitt received her second-straight selection to the North All-Region First Team, while Cuneo and Smith were named to the second team.

Two days after the IWLCA/U.S. Lacrosse honors came in, three Dartmouth seniors were honored by their own teammates at the team's annual awards banquet.

Newitt was honored both as the team's offensive MVP and as a the recipient of the Patty Pierce Award, given to the senior who "contributed the most to Big Green women's lacrosse, both on and off the field, for four years."

Cuneo was also a two-time honoree at the banquet, as she was named the team's defensive MVP and given the Donald and Margaret Radasch Award. The latter award, presented by the coaching staff, is presented to "the player who has shown extraordinary dedication, coachability and unselfishness."

The team's Most Improved Player award went to Kate Cole, the hero of Dartmouth's overtime win over Pennsylvania, who had her finest season in a Dartmouth uniform with nine goals and four assists.

While the loss to Syracuse brought an unceremonious close to the careers of the Dartmouth seniors, the awards they have received since the season's end prove to be a truly fitting send-off for one of the most extraordinary classes in team history.