Panel debates merits of Greek system for women

In a panel discussion Saturday, "The Changing Role of Women and the Greek System," nine panelists, including both affiliated and unaffiliated students and a faculty member, disputed the merits and problems surrounding the Greek system, focusing on sororities' role on campus.

Although some panelists spoke about their positive experiences as members of sororities, philosophy and women's studies professor Amy Allen outlined the reasons for unanimous votes against the Greek system at recent years' faculty meetings.

Allen first mentioned the exclusivity of the Greek system, noting that in addition to their exclusion of some rushees, sororities and fraternities are inherently exclusive because of their single-sex structure. This structure, according to Allen, "sets up a dynamic in which it is very difficult to be a woman on this campus."

In another argument against the Greek system, Allen said that the current system "sets up a status hierarchy on campus," in which some houses are considered to be more prestigious than others. This categorizing of classmates depending on their affiliation can be "deleterious" to students and social interactions, Allen said.

Proponents of the system countered one aspect of the exclusivity argument, saying that Greek houses used to be able to give bids to all rushees. They say that with the large number of rushees in recent years not everyone receives a bid, because the administration has refused to allow new houses to be formed.

Other panelists stated that they were neither pro-Greek nor anti-Greek, recognizing the problems in the system, while at the same time acknowledging the need for it. Some affiliated members of the panel said that sororities had been the only way for them to meet other Dartmouth women, after having nearly all male friends in their first years.

Katie Oliviero '01 said that 30 years after their creation, the need for sororities at Dartmouth remains, although there should be a better way to fulfill that need, citing the exclusivity and stereotypes that she said can flourish in the Greek system.

Other panelists and members of the audience were also upset by the alacrity at which stereotypes form on campus.

"We are quick to assess and pigeonhole people," panelist Alex Roberts '02 said of students on campus. She noted that these "superficial snap judgements" are often based on which Greek house a person is affiliated with.

The panelists concurred on one point--that some changes in the system are necessary and possible. They recognized the need to continue dialogue on the subject and to take direct action.

In addition to the issues of exclusivity and stereotyping, panelists recognized the high occurrence of sexual abuse. Men's Project intern Brian Greenough '03 contributed shocking statistics to the discussion.

He first gave one frequently heard statistic -- one in four women is sexually assaulted in her lifetime -- and then brought the issue even closer to home.

"Thirty-three percent of college men interviewed said they would engage in rape if they knew they would not be caught or punished," Greenough said, reading from a study. He emphasized the importance of reporting any instance of sexual harassment.

According to Greenough, sororities can provide a support system in the instance of sexual abuse. Panelists spoke of actions that could be taken, including "blacklisting" the offender, and, if the offender is affiliated, cutting off social ties with his fraternity.

Oliviero said that although most men aren't sexually abusive, they don't take actions to condemn abuse either.

If fraternities enacted rules to kick out any member who sexually abused a woman, she said, fraternity members would face greater consequences.

Greenough also discussed instances in which sorority members have been harassed inside their own houses, which he said are thought to be safe spaces for women. In some of these cases, the harassment was not reported in fear of consequences for the entire house due to underage drinking or other relatively minor offenses.

"Whether or not your house is going to exist shouldn't be a consideration in whether you are going to stop assault," Oliviero said, stressing the importance of reporting abuse.

Khristina Gonzalez '04, organizer of the event, agreed on the exigency of speaking up. "It's important for sorority members to not worry about negative consequences," she said. While a Greek house may be punished for a few weeks or terms for alcohol or party violations, she said, "Sexual assault is something that you will remember for the rest of your life."