Men's club volleyball finishes strong at nats.

The Dartmouth men's club volleyball team capped an already successful season with a strong performance at the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association national championship tournament in Dallas. Headed into nationals coming of off a strong fifth place finish at the New England Championships, the team played its way to a tie for 25th in Division Two, earning its highest finish in recent years.

The tournament, held from April 17 through April 20, pitted the top 136 teams in the country against each other in three different divisions. Ultimately, the University of Arizona -- with a team in each division -- emerged victorious in every division, claiming its fourth national championship in the last five years. The Providence College of Canada earned runner-up honors to the powerful Wildcats.

The Big Green opened on the first day in pool play against the University of Washington, Santa Clara University and Drexel University. Splitting with Santa Clara and Drexel in regular pool play, Dartmouth ended up in a one-game playoff rematch against Drexel to advance to the second day's challenge round. The Big Green picked up right where it left off in their previous match with Drexel, and emerged victorious over the Dragons.

On the second day of the tournament, Dartmouth won a hard fought challenge match against the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire to advance to the upper division of the tournament.

Entering the second round of pool play, the Big Green was pitted against New England rival Boston College. Despite inspired play from the team's senior leaders, Dartmouth fell to the New England champs, and emerged from the second round into the silver bracket of the elimination round.

In the elimination round, Dartmouth faced yet another New England team, this time drawing the University of Connecticut. Having defeated UConn just two weeks earlier at the New England Championships, the Big Green came out uninspired and overconfident and Dartmouth lost a winnable match.

Nevertheless, the Big Green achieved its pre-tournament goal of a top-25 finish and built momentum for next year. If Dartmouth is able to fill the huge void left at the middle blocker position by the graduation of Allan Klinge '02, next year's team could be even more successful. Returning its core hitters, setter and most of the back row, the Big Green has a solid foundation on which to build future success.

Keith Schuricht is a freshman on the Dartmouth men's club volleyball team.