Women's rugby heads to Sweet Sixteen with eight seed

Some might not consider rugby in the heat a plus, but the Dartmouth Women's Rugby Club couldn't be happier. This weekend, the team heads down to Orlando, Fla. to participate in the Sweet Sixteen tournament, so any high temperatures are more than welcome. And anything is better than the snow that still covered the rugby pitches at this time last year.

The DWRC also made the Sweet 16 in 2001, but failed to advance due to a first-round loss to the University of Virginia. But according to Karin Ljungquist '02, this year should be different.

"We are going in with an undefeated record this year," co-captain Ljungquist said. "Illinois and Stanford will be tough opponents, but we have had a great week of practice out in the heat and I think we are ready."

Every year, the D-Plan and injuries take a large toll on the Dartmouth team and this season is no different. With two starting forwards in Europe for the term, the DWRC has been forced to make some changes in the forward pack. But, as usual, the team has adjusted quite nicely.

Former backs Kate Simon '04, Sara Carpenter '03 and Molly Johnson '02 bring some welcome speed and open-field tackling skill to the forward corps. The Dartmouth scrum is fronted by props Sheila Hicks '04, Christine Coldiron '03 and Kim Siciliano '03. Jen Obiapi '04 serves as the hooker of the squad and is likewise in the scrum. Meanwhile, Joanne Sprague '04 spells co-captain Karin Ljungquist '02 at second row alongside Johnson. Eight-man Betsy Super '02 anchors the Dartmouth pack.

Fresh faces also populate the back line. Rookie wing Nina Markey '02 has learned quickly and is second on the team in scoring. Scrumhalf Catherine Dale, inside center Carrie Hildreth and fullback Cate Macomber, all sophomores, have also fit nicely into the backline this year.

With Abby Berniker '03 out with an injury suffered at the Ivy tournament, Emily Battle '05 has stepped in at flyhalf. She joins returning starters Elisse Gaynor '03 and senior co-captain and team-leading scorer Bridget Waitkus.

What the DWRC lacks in size, it makes up for in teamwork. The team's 15-person defense kept opponents scoreless at the Ivy Tournament and for much of the fall, and that same teamwork should hold up well in Florida.

Coming off of a 31-0 win against the Middlebury College Panthers, eighth-ranked Dartmouth will face off first against the ninth-seeded University of Illinois. With a victory, the next obstacle would be the winner of the match between James Madison University and Stanford.

The DWRC seeks to make the Final Four, held in Blaine, Minn., for the first time in club history. With an undefeated season in the making and one of the fastest squads in years, the Big Green is optimistic about its chances in the national tourney.

"We've been looking forward to this weekend since the fall and we can't wait to step on the field," Johnson said.

Annie Snider is a sophomore winger for the Dartmouth Women's Rugby Club.