Sororities gain 40 from second term of rush

The first second-term spring rush wrapped up last week, increasing the size of the 2004 pledge classes in sororities by about 40 new members total.

Most fraternities saw a similar turnout in the second-round process as in previous years, except for Chi Gamma Epsilon and Gamma Delta Chi fraternities, who added 11 and 17 new members to their houses, respectively.

Each of the 53 girls who attended preference-night parties received a bid, according to Christine Sebourn, vice president of the Panhellenic Council.

While 36 participated in the second-term rush during Winter term 2001, 62 girls started in this spring's rush, with nine dropping out in the process.

"This is an entirely new thing for us," said Sebourn. "No one knew how spring rush would finish out because we've never had spring rush before."

The high turnout of girls interested in joining sororities demonstrated the success of the new spring rush. Combined with the winter pledge classes, all six sororities have 40 or more new members total, significantly higher numbers than in past years.

Although, according to Sebourn, some presidents were initially concerned about having such large new classes Sebourn said, the new additions to the houses were eagerly welcomed.

"If more girls want to be involved in the system, that just benefits everyone," said Sebourn. "I hope to see pledge classes above 40 in the future."

For the Sororities, Epsilon Kappa Theta gave four bids, Kappa Delta Epsilon s gave nine, Delta Delta Delta nine, Alpha Xi Delta gave 10, Kappa Kappa Gamma accepted 11, and Sigma Delta accepted nine, Sebourn said.

Fraternity leaders decided individually how many bids to give at their respective houses.

For fraternities, Alpha Chi has two new members from spring rush, Alpha Delta has five, Chi Heorot has two, Kappa Kappa Kappa has four, Psi Upsilon has six, Sigma Alpha Epsilon has two Theta Delta Chi has one Sigma Nu has three, and Sigma Phi Epsilon has four.

Gamma Delt gave out 17 bids, an uncharacteristically large number for the second round of rush.

Other fraternities' representatives were unavailable for comment.

Among coed houses, Alpha Theta gained two members, Phi Tau added one, and the Tabard gained 14.

"The way the D-plan works out is that most of the guys who are prospectives [for Gamma Delt] were off studying abroad or taking an off-term or a transfer term in the winter," said Gamma Delt President, Kevin Noone.

"We didn't get our bulk rush until the spring," Noone said. As a result, pushing rush back to the winter essentially delayed rush two terms for Gamma Delt, which must now train the new members to be house leaders over the approaching Summer term.

Moving the first rush to the winter hurt houses financially at the beginning of the year because they lost one term of extra dues from the rushees. With the new additions this term, houses that were short on finances in the winter are increasing their dues.

While the turnout for the second-round rush was certainly not less than in the past, many Greek leaders still hope to move rush back to the fall to help finances and house growth.

"I definitely think rush should be moved back to sophomore fall because we have a great brotherhood-development program, and it really rests on getting the brothers sooner rather than later," said Sig Ep President Patrick Granfield.

Concerns about the rush being so far into the Dartmouth career also exist.

Chi Heorot President John Campbell said, "There's kind of that delayed reaction of kids being one step closer to graduation, so that makes the decision to join an organization harder."