Family concerns spur plea change

Robert Tulloch's decision to abandon his plea of innocent by reason of insanity in the deaths of Half and Susanne Zantop appears to have been based on a desire to avoid putting his family through a trial.

A change-of-plea hearing for Tulloch has been scheduled to take place tomorrow, and his only remaining options under New Hampshire law are to plead "guilty" or "no contest."

By entering either plea, Tulloch will be acquiescing to the mandatory sentences for first-degree murder charges he faces in the brutal slayings of the two Dartmouth professors -- life in prison without parole.

Since prosecutors have not agreed to a reduced sentence in exchange for Tulloch's guilty plea, his unusual move appears to be motivated by personal factors.

According to media reports citing unnamed people close to the case, Tulloch made the decision after extended consultation with his family.

"My understanding is that, a few days ago, he (Tulloch) wanted to strike a deal because he wanted to spare his family a trial," an unnamed friend of the Zantops told the Manchester Union Leader. "[Prosecutors] weren't going to make a deal with him because he didn't have anything to offer them."

James Parker, Tulloch's alleged accomplice in the murders, pleaded guilty to reduced charges in December. In return, he agreed to become a witness for the prosecution.

His sentencing, previously planned to follow Tulloch's April 12 trial, has been rescheduled for shortly after the change-of-plea hearing tomorrow, an indication that prosecutors do not expect a trial at which Parker's testimony would be required.

An unidentified friend of the Tulloch family quoted by the Boston Globe said that Tulloch insisted the murders were not a "thrill-kill" or a robbery, but instead were motivated by a desire to see if he and Parker had the courage to overcome their fear and "create their own destiny."