Equestrians prepare for hosting regionals

Last Sunday at the Dartmouth Riding Center, Morton Farm, Sally Batton coached the Dartmouth Equestrian Team to a third-place finish. Although its chief rivals, Colby-Sawyer College and University of Vermont, earned more points than Dartmouth, the Big Green succeeded in defeating intercollegiate teams from Bates College, Bowdoin College, University of Maine and Mount Ida University.

Individual first-place performances were turned in by Julia Hoover '02 in intermediate flat, Annie Trumpold '05 in walk/trot/canter and Rebecca Freedman '02, in walk/trot. Second-place finishes were accomplished by Julia Hoover '02 in intermediate fences, John Olsen '05 and Meredith Hartley '05 in walk/trot/canter and Larissa Belova '02 in walk/trot.

Additionally, Sara Irom '02, in intermediate flat and fences and Rebecca Freedman '02 in walk/trot qualified to compete in the 2002 Intercollegiate Equestrian Regional Competition, which will be held at Morton Farm this weekend. Those riders will be joined by Ashley McCaughan '04 in novice fences, Caroline Pott '02 in novice flat, Sara Glazer '04 in intermediate fences and flat, Lindsay Clayton '04 in intermediate fences, and Elizabeth Shim '01 in intermediate flat, who qualified earlier this season.

Competitors can qualify in one of the following five divisions: walk/trot, walk/trot/canter, novice, intermediate or open. These divisions include a "flat" class, in which six to eight competitors are rated upon their form while following commands given by a judge. Intermediate and open divisions also include a jumping class, in which competitors are rated based on their form over a given course of jumps.

Each of these riders has attained a certain number of points during the season, assigned according to individual placing in each class. Points are totaled each spring to determine which individuals can compete at Regionals. Those who achieve high marks in that show are eligible to participate in the next level, Zones, which takes place on April 13 at Stonleigh Brunam.

Even though home shows give Dartmouth team members the added responsibility of administerng and preparing the horses and facilities, last Sunday's meet ran smoothly and the team had a successful day, uninhibited by the added work.