Playoff tickets to be free

Leave your money at home.

President James Wright decided yesterday that the administration will subsidize next weekend's men's and women's playoff hockey tickets for students, allowing all those with an ID card to get into the games for free.

Since last year, students have been admitted to all regular-season sporting events gratis. But postseason hockey games are run by the ECAC, which requires a $4 charge for students.

With Wright's decision, the administration will cover that cost. Student admittance will begin one hour prior to each game and will continue until the event is sold out. The first 600 students will be guaranteed seats.

"I think it's phenomenal," men's hockey co-captain Jamie Herrington '02 said. "I asked the president if there was any way he could subsidize the cost of tickets so that students wouldn't have to pay. He said he would look into it, and he did. It's a great thing."

Both teams will host Colgate on Friday, Saturday and, if necessary, Sunday. The top-seeded women will host the eighth-seeded Raiders at 2 p.m. each day. The fourth-seeded men's team will battle the seventh-seeded Raiders each night at 7 p.m.

"I think the student support has been phenomenal this season," Herrington said. "I know people have exams. But I think this is a good outlet -- a good release. It's a good way to take two and a half hours off and come cheer the Big Green to victory."