Humphrey stumps for N.H. governorship in Hanover

New Hampshire gubernatorial candidate Gordon Humphrey gave a brief synopsis of his platform and debated with audience members over a wide variety of topics ranging from education to communism at a meeting of the Hanover Republican Committee yesterday.

Giving his position on education, Humphrey cited statistics showing that private schools in New Hampshire generally do a better job than public ones while spending less money per pupil.

It's "because public schools are handcuffed -- strait-jacketed by bureaucracy," Humphrey said. "Public schools need to be made more like private schools. We need to peel away the layers of bureaucracy."

During the question-and-answer period, a member of the audience questioned Humphrey on which mechanisms he would use to measure the success of schools.

"We are overboard on testing," Humphrey said. He further explained that he would not advocate an increase in standardized testing.

Humphrey also addressed the issues of economic development and the environment, emphasizing that "there will be no income tax, no sales tax, no net increase in state taxes."

He advocated high-speed Internet access for all of New Hampshire, saying that this would help both the economy and the environment of the state by increasing the telecommuter pool.

"Though I am a conservative Republican, I have a strong record in the environment," Humphrey stated. He told of his plans to get rid of MTBE, a gasoline additive that he said has poisoned a quarter of the wells in New Hampshire.

Humphrey attempted to win over the crowd in other ways, saying that New Hampshire "is the last really good state left. It is a freer state, of greater opportunity, of greater prosperity and of the greatest happiness."

Humphrey also mentioned that he has "more years of experience than my opponents combined. With my experience, I can hit the ground running." He added that the other Republican candidates "are all good men, but I'm 'gooder.'"

Smiling, Humphrey said, "You have to decide whether you want good government or good grammar."

Area resident Ed Brown, who identified himself as a "constitutional ranger," questioned Humphrey about the current school system. Brown claimed that schools today teach using "cultural political engineering," and argued that Christianity is still being taught in public schools.

"I am for freedom," responded Humphrey, who asserted that parents and local school districts should decide what is being taught in the schools.

This did not pacify Brown, who said, "Well, we can't allow them to teach something that is illegal, can we?" When Humphrey answered no, Brown continued, "Well, communism is illegal, isn't it?"

At this point, Humphrey effectively ended the exchange, saying, "I am going to have to let some others ask questions now."

Brown continued to be an active member of the audience during the question-and-answer period, applauding loudly when Humphrey lamented the idea that many kids aren't taught to read before third grade.

Humphrey did not disguise his party affiliation at the meeting. In an earlier exchange with Brown, Brown began to say, "We have one problem," when Humphrey joked, "They are called Democrats, right?"

The crowd of about 30 people, mostly older New Hampshire residents, raised questions for about an hour, and some lingered to talk personally with Humphrey.

Bob Gienko '02, executive director of the College Republicans, commented on the candidates. "I am probably leaning toward [Republican candidate Craig] Benson, but Humphrey would be better than the Democrat candidates," he said.