The Freshman Connection

Led by a first line featuring the country's most prolific scorer in Carly Haggard '03, Dartmouth is an unmatched offensive threat, leading the nation by averaging 5.17 goals per game. The 14-2-2 Big Green (7-1-0 ECAC North) is tied for first with St. Lawrence and Princeton and, at No. 4 in the nation, currently in line to receive one of the four coveted berths to the Frozen Four. While the upperclassmen-laden first line may be considered the source of this force, it is impossible to ignore the impact of the all-freshman second line.

The trio of Meagan Walton '05, Cheryl Muranko '05 and Danielle Grundy '05 has burst onto the scene; accounting for 23 goals and 24 assists so far this season. Each frosh has shown off individually with at least one multi-goal game, but together, the girls impress far more with their uncanny connection on the ice.

"So far, I think our success is due to an unexplainable chemistry between us, we just click," Muranko said. "We read really well off one another and each of us brings something unique to the line."

Muranko, the left-handed left winger, feels what everybody else can see in the smooth passing and quick maneuvering of the trio. Each player, as in any good team story, has particular attributes that contribute to the line's functioning as a whole, a whole whose phenomenal production may climb to even more ridiculous heights in the future.

"Grundy is a finesse player, Muranko is a banger, goes really hard and is physical, and Walton is quick and makes good decisions," coach Judy Oberting '91 said.

"They have all the elements together on that line. They're all willing to give the puck up to one another, they like making big plays, and they like having expectations of them, and that's really important."

How they live up to or surpass those expectations will help mold the future of Big Green women's hockey. The bond this all-freshman line shares is also reminiscent of past success for Dartmouth. Former co-captains Jennifer Wiehn '01 and Kristina Guarino '01, along with Lauren Trottier '01, played together from their freshman year all the way through their senior year with tremendous success.

As perennial high scorers, Wiehn, Trottier and Guarino led the Big Green to Ivy League championships in 1998 and 2001, an ECAC title in 2001, and appearances in the Frozen Four in their last two seasons, 2000 and 2001. Individually, Wiehn was the natural goal-scorer, Trottier was the quick-skating, elusive center and Guarino was the one who won every loose-puck battle she entered, but as a line, the threesome was the pinnacle of a cohesive unit.

"To be compared to the line of Wiehn, Guarino and Trottier would be an honor," said Walton. "They were definitely a line that contributed immensely to the success that the team has enjoyed over the past few years and they were all impact players for Dartmouth which would leave us with big shoes to fill."

Walton's refined vision and speed have helped her pile up 24 points (9g, 15a) through 18 games, tied for second on the team with co-captain Kim McCullough '02. Walton, who centers the second line, hails from Calgary, Alberta where she led the Oval X-treme to the senior Canadian national championship in 2001. She is also a member of the under-22 Canadian national team for 2001-2002.

Muranko and Grundy are Canadian recruits as well -- Muranko hailing Cambridge, Ontario and Grundy representing Kelowna, British Columbia. This, hopefully, will be the most profound difference between the current freshmen and their predecessors, the all-American Wiehn-Trottier-Guarino line.

"I hope that coach will keep our line together as they did for Wiehm, Guarino and Trottier for all four years," said Grundy. "We have melded together really well already and we just keep on growing and improving in every game that we play with each other. And it is great to be playing with players from your own country, eh."

The truth is that while the line has performed remarkably well together, there is no guarantee they will be together forever.

What is best for the team will ultimately prevail, something the coaches and players cannot help but agree on.

Right now, the benefits of playing on an all-freshman line include the fact that, thrown into the same situation at the same time, the players are more comfortable making mistakes and learning together. In addition, they all come from programs with similar systems, so reading each other's moves has not presented a problem thus far.

As for the current struggle to maintain a national ranking for a shot at the national championship, the girls seem to have the complicated mess in a healthy perspective.

"Every game there is something on the line," said Muranko.

"As far as complications with rankings, we as a team cannot worry about those things. All we can do is go out every night and give it everything we've got. In the end, this is what's going to get us to where we need to be."

Grundy, Muranko, Walton and the rest of the Big Green will travel locally in icy conditions to face the Wildcats of New Hampshire tonight at 7 p.m. and will return to home ice to face the Friars of Providence Sunday at 2 p.m.