How do you like your computer?

The Class of 2005 is the first class to arrive at Dartmouth since the wireless network became fully operational. With laptop prices falling, is it time for the College to recommend portable computers?

To find out, The Dartmouth asked freshmen how they felt about their computer purchases -- to see if laptop users are happier than desktop owners or if Windows systems are more convenient than the Macintosh OS.

Sixteen out of 25 freshmen contacted via a random phone survey said they use laptops, and 22 of the 25 own a Windows PC.

The most common reason given for a laptop purchase is portability. Students can carry their computers around campus and take them home during vacation. Most laptop users enjoy the wireless network on campus, although coverage can be spotty.

Some students noted that desktops are safer to leave in a dormitory room and cannot be dropped. Michael Duncan '05 bought a desktop for fear of losing his computer, even though he originally wanted a laptop.

Other reasons given for the purchase of a desktop were higher speed, larger screens, more memory and lower cost than laptops.

Desktop users, though, were the only students who expressed some degree of envy, with some admitting that the portability of a laptop would be useful. Nicole Valco '05 and Sejal Vashi '05, both desktop owners, noted they sometimes wish to have a laptop. Still, the students were satisfied with their choice.

"A student may elect a laptop or a desktop. Dartmouth does not require it to be one or the other," Director of Computing Services Larry Levine said in a BlitzMail message.

In recent years, though, Computing Services has gained appreciation for the merits of laptops. "Personally, I think a laptop is better suited for most students than desktops. However, there are advantages and disadvantages to both," Levine wrote.

He thinks one strong argument for laptops is the wireless system, while the downsides are generally higher prices and more repairs. Also, Levine noted, laptops are easier to steal. The computer purchase recommendations for the Class of 2006 will be made by a spring meeting of the Council on Computing.

More than half of the PC users said they chose the Windows platform because they are accustomed to it -- most had not used Macs prior to coming to Dartmouth.

Despite being familiar with both Macs and PCs, Eliza Rosenbaum '05 chose to purchase a Mac because she felt more comfortable with the system.

Dartmouth's history with the Mac platform was a major factor in many students' decisions. Ellen Tani '05, however, chose Mac even though she is not familiar with it. She chose it since she heard Dartmouth predominantly uses Macs, and she thought it was a good opportunity to learn to use one.

In addition, like many others, Tani finds the Mac design to be visually pleasing. Macs, she said, are "cute."

When comparing the reasons for deciding between a Mac and a PC, many said that Macintosh has better graphic programs, such as Adobe Photoshop, and has appealing designs. However, people who chose Windows believe that PCs are more useful and compatible; they can use a greater variety of software.

Many students who chose Windows think Macs are more complicated than PCs. Anca Tohaneanu '05 said Macs require her to take more steps to do the same task. She does not like how Macs do not allow users to quit a program simply by closing the window, a feature that PCs have. Gregory Holtz '05 said that sometimes he has trouble opening Mac documents on his PC, but the same problem exists for putting PC documents onto Macs.

Steven Gay '05, however, said that computers are basically the same, even though they each have their own unique features.