Pres. Bush speaks at UNH

DURHAM, N.H. -- In his first visit back to New Hampshire since the contested presidential election, President Bush celebrated the major legislative victory of his education bill amidst the turmoil of war.

In front of an ecstatic standing-room-only crowd and before a huge banner reading "No Child Left Behind," the president spoke on both education and the war on terror.

"The hope of the future for this country is not only to make sure that we're secure and we're safe, but the true hope for the country is to make sure everybody gets a good education," the president said.

The speech was interrupted when a spectator yelled out, "What about the Afghani children?" -- referring to civilian casualties in the war with Afghanistan.

For a moment, the president paused with a sad expression upon his face and the crowd hushed.

The heckler was silenced by neighboring spectators who grabbed him and held him down for a time.

Then another spectator, a girl, yelled, "We love you, President Bush."

Immediately, the audience broke out into a roaring applause.

The president then continued his speech.

Afterwards, Secret Service agents escorted the young man out.

When asked why he had interrupted the president's speech, the student would not comment and refused to give his name, saying he feared for his life.

One spectator, 16-year-old Natalie Delisle, spoke on her reaction to the protester afterwards. "When that guy said what he did, I thought I was going to pass out. I was so scared. I thought somebody was going to shoot us."

Another spectator, 56-year-old Ralph Ciacciarelli, also reflected on the events of the afternoon. "I think the event, overall, was terrific. And as for the heckler, it was out of place and did not represent even a minority of those present."

Protestors gathered outside of the gym after the speech picketing in opposition to the war effort.

After signing his education reform bill at a school in Ohio on Tuesday morning, the president flew into Durham to speak.

Among those present in UNH's Lundholm Gym for the president's speech were students, teachers, faculty, members of the armed services and their families whom the White House had invited.

Inside, two rickety old wooden bleachers and hundreds of folding chairs were jam-packed with 3,000 jittery people as the Secret Service agents surveyed the crowds. American flags hanging from the ceiling and patriotic songs thundering from a local high school marching band combined to create a charged atmosphere.

The war was on everyone's mind, but the issue of the day was education. "This morning I signed a major piece of reform legislation," Bush said.

The bill calls for the most extensive overhaul of America's public education system since the days of Lyndon Johnson's Great Society. It authorizes a $26.5 billion increase in the education budget.

It is particularly designed to assist poor students in failing schools. Such students can seek help through private tutoring and early reading programs, Bush said.

The legislation also provides for public school vouchers. Part of the budget increase will go to bussing students who choose to transfer out of failing schools, he said.

According to Bush, the bill tracks and holds public schools accountable for student progress by establishing a national reading, math and science tests to be administered from grades three to eight.

Secretary of Education Rod Paige, present at the event, said that the bill marked a great day for the children of America.

"It all started when we made a vow to leave no child behind. Now, failing schools can no longer shroud students in mystery. Let light in. Let children out."

The event was held in New Hampshire in honor of the efforts of Sen. Judd Gregg, who was instrumental in getting enough support for Senate approval of the bill. A number of other lawmakers were also present, including Sens. Edward Kennedy, Bob Smith and Gov. Jeanne Shaheen.

The historic importance of the education bill could not dispel thoughts of war.

The president began by thanking the members of the National Guard present and their families.

"I want to let you know you are engaged in a noble and just cause. We will not let terror stand," Bush said.

"I long for peace, but so long as there is terror and evil, I will not relent," he continued.

The Consul General of Canada, Ronald A. Irwin, attended the event and approved of the president's performance.

"It was excellent. He came in with such low expectations and has done a tremendous job restoring values to the country and balancing the war on terror. His ratings show that," Irwin said.

The president of the New Hampshire State Senate, Arthur P. Klemm Jr., was also present.

"I thought he was excellent. I think his education legislation is extremely important for the future of the country, particularly the fact that we are going to hold schools accountable for results. It is wonderful to see the president back in the state," Klemm said.