Hockey crucifies Crusaders 9-1 at Thompson

by David Sherzer | 11/21/01 6:00am

The boys in purple didn't have a chance. All but five Dartmouth skaters had at least a point as the Big Green men's hockey team steamrolled over visiting Holy Cross, 9-1, last night in front of 2,705 at Thompson Arena.

Frank Nardella '02 and Chris Baldwin '02 each had four-point games, leading a slew of players with big nights. Nardella had four assists, while Baldwin had two goals and a pair of helpers.

Dartmouth (4-1-1, 3-1-1 ECAC) has now won three in a row and is unbeaten in its last five games.

"We have a record that we've achieved by being aggressive and getting after it," head coach Bob Gaudet '81 said. "We've worked really hard to beat good hockey teams. I like the way the team is progressing."

Nardella's four-point game was his first since last Feb. 9, when he had a goal and three assists in a 7-0 rout of Harvard.

Baldwin, meanwhile, did good work around the net, scoring his first off a rebound and his second off a perfect Nardella pass through the crease to make it 4-0 early in the second.

Baldwin's last four-pointer was a Dec. 1998 game against Air Force.

"I definitely started getting going after Christmas last season, so it feels good to know that my line is playing well right now," Baldwin said. "I was the recipient of a couple of great passes. Frank's pass on my second goal was unreal."

The Crusaders (5-3-2, 4-1-2 MAAC), who hail from the recently minted Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, were overmatched from the outset.

The Big Green was flying high after beating ECAC foes Yale and Princeton over the weekend and showed no signs of fatigue despite playing its third game in four days.

The scoring began at the 1:59 mark with Baldwin's first goal and resumed late in the opening period when Jamie Herrington '02 flung a tough-angle shot into the top corner for the eventual game-winner.

In the middle frame, Dartmouth made it a laugher, netting five goals in a period for the first time since a 6-4 win over Brown on Jan. 3, 1997. Kent Gillings '03 and Baldwin both scored in the first minute to up the lead to 4-0.

"The start of the second period was big for us," Gaudet said. "We came out and, bang-bang, turned a 2-0 lead into 4-0 right away. "

The next three were netted by defensemen. Trevor Byrne '03 blasted in his second of the season from just inside the blueline at the 5:43 mark before Brian Van Abel '04 potted his first of the year to give the Big Green a 6-0 advantage at the midpoint of the game. Byrne lit the lamp again with 32 ticks left in the period.

Dartmouth outscored Holy Cross 2-1 in the third, as Gillings and senior Dan Casella sandwiched goals around the Crusaders' only one of the night, a nice finish from freshman Jonas Tomiuck off a 2-on-1 rush.

In total, eight Dartmouth players had multiple-point games. Mike Maturo '02 had two helpers to maintain his scorching pace of two points per game (6g, 6a in 6 games).

The Big Green will play its fourth game in eight days on Saturday when UMass-Amherst of the Hockey East pays a visit.

Advertise your student group in The Dartmouth for free!