Volleyball's Dean: scrappy, selfless, and consistent

It isn't hard to elicit a positive opinion about Ashley Dean '02. Just ask anyone who plays alongside the volleyball tri-captain.

"Ashley Dean is an amazing volleyball player, teammate and person," sophomore setter Chelsea Morgan says of the outside hitter, expressing an opinion typical of those who don the Green and White.

A native Californian, Dean began her competitive career as a freshman at La Jolla High School. Prior to that, she had starred in soccer, being voted to the All-County first team as a freshman.

In fact, she may never have picked up volleyball if not for the suggestions of her brother, who himself played for Stanford.

Dean rapidly developed as a player, becoming a superstar as a senior. She earned several honors that year, including Female Athlete of the Year for her high school and Western League and Division III MVP. Dean's senior-year squad advanced to the California State Semifinals.

At Dartmouth, Dean worked her way into the lineup as a freshman before exploding for a monster sophomore campaign.

That season, she established a school record for digs with 476, which also ranked 12th among Division I players. She also led the team with 348 kills, earned first team All-Ivy honors and was named to the All-Tournament team at the Ivy League championship, a weekend she remembers well.

"The Ivy League Tournament was held at Dartmouth for the first time, and the school really got to watch us play," says Dean, who helped propel her team to the semifinals, where it suffered a five-game loss to Harvard. "The fan support was great."

Last year, Dean led the squad with 364 kills and 405 digs, and once again was named to the All-Ivy first team along with being tabbed as the Big Green's MVP for the season.

This fall, she once again leads the squad in kills and digs and is on pace for a third consecutive All-Ivy caliber campaign.

By all accounts, Dean is a first-rate player. She is on pace to break the Dartmouth record for career digs and already holds the school standard for most digs in a match and season.

However, what has made her an indispensable part of Dartmouth volleyball over the last four years extends well beyond the numerous honors and distinctions she has earned.

"Ashley is incredibly valuable as a captain because she's a well-respected, unassuming leader," says junior Courtney Anderson, who specializes on the right side. "She's admired by all of her teammates both because of her tremendous skills and because of her perseverance and hard work."

Dean is one of only three players in Dartmouth history to serve as captain twice. Her ability to lead by example, as well as her knack for supplying encouragement and motivation to her teammates, has been a distinctive part of her career.

On the court, Dean's scrappy and selfless play manifests itself in the staggering totals of digs she has accumulated over her career. She describes her game as "not the most flashy," but she nevertheless contributes in several ways to the team's success.

"She has incredible court sense and awareness, and makes each of the skills in her game look easy," says Big Green coach Ann Marie Larese, now in her eighth season. "She is not a flashy player but one of the most consistent."

Adds Morgan, "Her defense is phenomenal. She gets underneath everything and keeps the ball alive."

While not always the most noticeable player on the court during the course of a rally, closer observation reveals that Dean is a model of determination and self-sacrifice. Her ability to anticipate the opposing team's next move is uncanny, as she is frequently seen diving about the court to come up with another important dig.

"I really look up to Ashley because of how solid she is on the court," says freshman defensive specialist Diana Szczepanski. "Pressure only makes Ashley play better, and I think all of the younger players aspire to attain some of the quality from her influence."

Whether she is making a great kill, pulling out a tough dig or offering leadership and encouragement, Dean is a key component of the Big Green's success. Teammates admire her not only for her on-court contributions, but also for her strength as a captain who's always available to lend a helping hand.

As Morgan says, Dean will "always offer a smile or pat on the back when a teammate is feeling low. I am so thrilled and honored to be her teammate."