Students unaware of GLC

While Dartmouth's Greek leaders have been engaged in serious discussion for months about the future governing structure of the system and only recently approved a new proposal, most students are largely unaware of and personally uninterested in the recent decision.

"I wasn't aware [of the changes] but it's something that people who are going to be hanging out there should know about," said Travis Keller '05, echoing the sentiments of most students interviewed by The Dartmouth.

Most did not know that the presidents of the houses had recently voted to endorse the constitution of the Greek Leaders Council as a replacement for the CFSC.

For those who did know, their information was spotty.

"I am aware of the fact that there was a change," said Sergei Zaslavsky '02 who added that he was "really not familiar with the practical implications," of the decisions.

In general, students who are unaffiliated were less likely to know about the new decisions.

Molly Redmond '02 said that she was not "at all" aware of any changes in Greek government.

"I don't really care; probably if you're affiliated it'd be more a matter of concern," she said.

Members of Greek houses were more likely to know what was going on. They were also more likely to say that the student body should keep up with the system.

Those who did keep up with the changes felt that they were positive.

"It's good because they have less power," said Michael Pazos '03, a member of Sigma Nu. At the same time, others said that it was "too early to tell" what the ramifications of the changes will be.

Members of the Class of 2005 weren't familiar with the changes but most felt that "it is important" to keep up-to-date, according to Ted Finnerty '05.

Those who spoke to The Dartmouth said that they were uncertain as to whether or not they would rush, but were keeping their options open.

"I haven't made up my mind yet," said Keller.